Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 or 650 for 223?

I am looking at buying a dillon press for reloading 223. Which press does best? Are dillon dies the way to go? Can you reload on a 650 without the case feeder? Any other information on reloading 223 with a dillon would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 7 months later...

I use a lee single stage for case prep, Load them on a LNL, while the 650 sits by neglected and lonely. And yes without the case feed even thou I have one, and a bullet feeder. Since the cases are already sized a thousand takes 2 hours.

I load on 2 650's and 1 550. Use the 650's for high volume with a shared case feeder. Low volume on the 550.

If you're loading high volume for your 223 a 650 with the case feeder will probably be better. You will want a case feeder shortly after you start loading on your 650 so be prepared to buy one if you get the 650 without one.

With the case feeder on my 650's I can load up 500 rounds in about 30-35 minutes.

If you don't mind hand indexing and inserting each case a 550 would do and be a little less money for changing over to other calibers later. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to load high volume on my 550. Although you can load up a couple of hundred rounds pretty fast on one.