Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trimming with RT1200

pmclaine

Trimmed my first batch of 30-06 last night with the RT1200.

My goal was a trim length of 2.484. I noted a variance of lengths when actually trimming and couldnt dial in 2.484 exactly. I kind of expected that loading on the S1050.

I ended up with an average Trim length of 2.486. I figured better to keep my cases slightly longer rather than spit out more cases that were shorter than the specified trim to length of 2.484 to bring the average case length down.

At this average they are well below the specified max case length.

Any comments, concerns, suggestions, Does it sound like this was done right.

I can't answer but I suggest you put this in the "dillon" thread as one of their employees answers tech questions there regularly. I am interested in the response as well. I trim the old fashioned way and have been thinking about going to this.

On my 650 I found that Using a sizing die first to size the Cartrige first then finish sizing with the trimmer die and trimming it to length works very well. Also I would suggest using a die opposite to keep the trimmer from flexing the tool one way or another.

I have sized about a couple hundred cases letting the size die do the full length sizing and I have the trim die set just to hold the case for trimming, no sizing.

I read where another user sets the size die to only size to about 99 percent. He than full length sizes with the trim die.

This makes sense to me. This will possibly take some of the flex out of the shell plate at the trim die if it is hard to the base of the case as well it will give me more clearance between the die and the trimmer as more of the neck should extend through the die. Maybe my trim to length will be more consistent.

I'm going to give this a try.

I have my dies opposite each other and initial size and trim are the only two operation performed on my brass prep tool head.

With 223 and 308 I set mine up to do about 75/25 with the full length die/trim die. Variations in trim length hold well under, but I shoot for +-0.002 max. opposite sides of the head just like you have. you probably already know this, but do only one type of brass at once. trying to run different headstamps will give you more variation.

jj

eta;you also probably know this, but don't do any other sizing (neck or otherwise) after the trim either...

Edited by RiggerJJ

Rigger JJ,

You are the party I referenced. I'm going to give your set up method a try tomorrow night. All my brass is same headstamp, same lot. I planned it that way to eliminate some variables.

I'm probably within an acceptable variance now. I was cutting 30-06 for trim to length of 2.484 and ended up with an average 2.486. The cases pulled for quality control were mostly to the high side, none over max length and only one below the trim to length specified. I thought it was better to stay between the max and trim to lengths so that is why my average is high. My thought was better to be high and between the specs rather than below the specified trim to length.

Any way I'll try your set up tomorrow and see how it works. Learning this stuff is fun.

I set my tool head up as per the JJ Rigger system.

I've run three shells after getting everything dialed in and all were 2.484. I'll be going downstairs after the kids are in bed to run a tray of brass and see how it goes. I think my results will be much better this time.

The Dillon stuff is great. I havent had any but self induced problems - the primer cup on my 1050 even catches each and every spent primer when they are punched out. Dillon could really save the end user some frustration and cut down on calls to service by putting out a more detailed set of instructions.

This worked great ran a batch and everything was close to within a .001 variation. I redid the first batch and now everything is right at my desired Trim length.

Thank you.

Now if anyone has any suggestions for the swage question I just posted in the Dillon section that would be great.