Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 3-gun budget build almost done

Shooter115

Okay just wrapping up a fresh build for a new 3-gun AR. Shot my 16” carbine last year with a Burris Extreme Tactical red-dot in Tac-limited, but wanted to make the move to Tac-ops. I’ve got a new junior shooter coming along in like 10 days (our first :D ) so I have a pretty strict budget to stick to. Been picking up parts here and there when I could find deals over the last few months, plus I had quite a collection of parts at my disposal. Here’s the main components of what I put together so far.

Upper and lower made by Aero Precision

DPMS Mark 12 18” barrel

Rock River chrome BCG

Nordic Components hanguard

Rolling Thunder comp

Palmetto LPK

Ergo Grip (the bigger one….same as my other AR’s…..Love em’)

Magpul ACS stock

Burris PEPR mount

Burris MTAC 1-4

Guess I could also mention the Arredondo mag funnel and mag release I got as Christmas gifts.

Total cost so far for everything including optics (even shipping costs) is $1140. The only thing left to decide is which trigger to install. I have 2 options at my disposal, a RR 2 stage NM or a Jard adjustable single stage. I have both in other guns, the carbine I ran last year has a Rock River NM trigger and I have a Jard set to just over 1lb in my long range/varmint AR. Both have been dead reliable for me. Obviously, if I put in another Jard it would be set heavier than my varmint rig. Eventually I will step up to something better, but for now, for budget reasons I would like to stick with what I have in the parts collection. I just built up a new Benelli M2 and I still have to buy this year’s supply of reloading components, so (unless someone wants to donate it to me) a new Giessle, JP or CMC is out of the question until my bank account fattens up again.

I’m leaning towards the RR NM trigger, but curious what others would do.

Personaly i would go with the RR NM trigger with a JP yellow spring. I have that setup in one rifle and like it very well. I also had a Jard but had trouble keeping it in adjustment. That rifle mow has a complete JP setup. Good luck!!

Jim M.

Wow, nice setup! More than half of those parts is what I have on my original 3G rifle. I digress, back to the trigger. I would probably go with the RR NM trigger as Jimm223 said. If I didn't have a Giessle or JP, then that is a good alternative.

I will mention that I had bad Jard trigger in one of my 10/22 rifles but their customer service was awesome. I sent it in on a Monday, I had a brand new trigger group by Friday.

Thanks guys :cheers: . I think I will stick with the RR NM trigger for now. I've set up a few of the Jard triggers for precision rifles, mostly because you can get the pull weight below most. One thing that I have found for sure is plenty of blue loctite is your best friend and make sure you get it adjusted before it sets. Done right they are a pretty nice trigger, I'm just not sure about it for 3-gun.

First congratulations in the little shooter coming. Mine is 20 months old and Iam sitting here in the room as he goes to sleep as I type.

I use a jard trigger in my 3 gun AR and really like it. I did have it tuned too light where i would get a double off the bench sighting in and every now and then when prone in a match. I did adjust it a little heavier and a little more disconnect and every thing is good now. Really like that trigger. I do want to try the 3GS.

O and get done what you want now as far a reloading because once the new shooter arrives. Your going to be pretty tired the first couple months. I wouldnt change it for the world though.

First congratulations in the little shooter coming. Mine is 20 months old and Iam sitting here in the room as he goes to sleep as I type.

I use a jard trigger in my 3 gun AR and really like it. I did have it tuned too light where i would get a double off the bench sighting in and every now and then when prone in a match. I did adjust it a little heavier and a little more disconnect and every thing is good now. Really like that trigger. I do want to try the 3GS.

O and get done what you want now as far a reloading because once the new shooter arrives. Your going to be pretty tired the first couple months. I wouldnt change it for the world though.

Thanks kschwan. I've been trying to do just that, but I'm still not quite where I wanted to be by now. I do have about 2000 .223 rounds loaded. With all the nice days we've had this winter, I've been shooting when usually I would be loading. I'm down to about 500 .40 rounds and am out of bullets again. Also burned through about 200 of my 12 ga loads the last couple weeks breaking in a new M2. I just picked up enough components to load about 2000 more rounds of 12ga today. I'll be plenty busy the next couple days crankin away on the old Mec. I really need to get some more .40 bullets here so I can get the Dillon back to work again though.

I own a couple of rifles with JP triggers in them and love them. However, if I build another it will get Dave Lake's trigger job where he modifies the parts in a standard lower parts kit and makes a better trigger than anything I've felt. Works simple, it's rugged and reliable. I think he charges like $60. All he needs is your lower and trigger parts. Look up Sierra Arms in Modesto.

I own a couple of rifles with JP triggers in them and love them. However, if I build another it will get Dave Lake's trigger job where he modifies the parts in a standard lower parts kit and makes a better trigger than anything I've felt. Works simple, it's rugged and reliable. I think he charges like $60. All he needs is your lower and trigger parts. Look up Sierra Arms in Modesto.

Sounds interesting up until "the send your lower to California" part. With all the crazy laws in that country, I feel like I'm breaking the law just crossing the border (which I probably am, who knows?). The fastest u-turn I have ever made was on a coyote/quail hunting trip in SW AZ. We're driving around with a truck full of weapons in compliance with AZ law when we see the sign "Welcome to California".......SCREEEEECH and U-Turn :surprise:

Sounds interesting up until "the send your lower to California" part. With all the crazy laws in that country, I feel like I'm breaking the law just crossing the border (which I probably am, who knows?). The fastest u-turn I have ever made was on a coyote/quail hunting trip in SW AZ. We're driving around with a truck full of weapons in compliance with AZ law when we see the sign "Welcome to California".......SCREEEEECH and U-Turn :surprise:

LOL!

So the real question is... When do we get to see pics of this new 3gun rifle?

Soon....The scope should be here sometime in the next couple days. I need to find another stock. I was going to pick up a Magpul ACS from someone, but they decided to keep it for a future build. So the search continues for a deal on a different one.....no luck so far. At least I got the shotgun finished :cheers:

Well I got the new rifle out to the range today and must say it went like a dream. It was 30 degrees out with sunshine today which is really nice for here in late January. Started out by mounting a Vortex 6.5-20x50 off one of my bench guns for accuracy testing. After running a few break in rounds and getting it zeroed I immediately shot a 5 shot group that I don't know if the 6BR I stole the scope off can best. I didn't shoot another group to back it up, because.....well I'll be honest I didn't want to push my luck. This was just with my 50gr V-max varmint loads. All tests shot from a rest, off a concrete bench at 100 yards.

post-35158-0-35698900-1327799116_thumb.j

Then I went home cleaned the bore and mounted the new Burris MTAC on it and headed back out to the range. I took me a little longer than usual to get the scope zero'd since I couldn't see my hits @4x and I forgot my bino's at home. Once I was on paper I had just enough light and ammo left to shoot (2) five shot groups. The Burris MTAC obviously gives up quite a bit to the Vortex Viper 6.5-20 when it comes to shooting tiny groups, but I was suprised at how easy this scope is to hold on the the 5" Caldwell targets I put up. I've heard some say the illumination could be brighter, but mine showed up on snow on a sunny day. So far I love this scope. Even at 4x, it seems pretty easy to hold groups to an inch, if I do my part. post-35158-0-44334900-1327799233_thumb.j

post-35158-0-33273200-1327799276_thumb.j

To say I'm impessed with this barrel would be an understatement. For a $180 tube it will shoot right with barrels costing much more. Anyways, here's the rifle as it sits now. I have a Magpul ACS stock coming that will go on it, but I was anxious to shoot it so I just threw on an M4 stock I had handy. Not sure yet if I'm crazy about the Rolling Thunder comp yet, it works awesome, but it's damn loud. Overall it was a great day, time for a beer now :cheers:

post-35158-0-45579400-1327799343_thumb.j

post-35158-0-72874300-1327799386_thumb.j