Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The IRS

lumpygravy

It's 2009 and the country is in the midst of the some of the worst financial times in my memory. The elected officials decide to stimulate the economy, they will allow sales tax on the purchase of a new car to be a deductable item on one's Federal income tax return. Swell!!

My better half and I talk it over and we say "let's go out and stimulate the economy" to the tune of two new vehicles approaching a total of $100K. All good? not so fast Kemosabe.

-- Rant mode on --

Skip forward to March 2010 and we're preparing our 2009 taxes and we discover:

WTF?: She makes too much to claim the new vehicle sales tax deduction? That's totally f'd up.

But no biggie. I'm a poor schmuck (working for a non-profit, I make 1/3 what she does), I'm on both contracts so I'll claim the sales tax for both cars.

Skip forward to last week

WTF?: One of the sales tax amounts is denied because I'm listed as the co-buyer on one of the contracts? So no one gets to claim that amount? And to turn the colon probe sideways, I'm now on the hook for the adjusted taxes and penalties to the tune of $1200? because my name is two inches to the left?

I ^$%@*&^&~@$ hate this bullsh!t

-- Rant mode off --

If anyone has qualified tax advice, please pm me. I want to fight this with every fiber of my being but for $1200, it may not be worth the effort.

This thread was closed because the content/topic was judged not to be in line with the rules of the Hate Forum. (mostly likely politics or shooting related..which are out of bounds)

Please review what you are..ahhh...allowed to hate. :)

Hate Forum Rules:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8097

[note: this is a generic reply]