Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther PPQ

Dr.J

Hello, I'm brand spanking new to the world IDPA and IPSC and am looking to purchase a first pistol. I was looking at either a G17 or CZ, however, I've read quite a few favorable comments about the Walther PPQ. I know the Glock and CZ are established "safe bets," but am curious about what those with more experience think about the Walther. Your comments are appreciated. Thanks

Tom

The Walther is a fine gun, with probably the best striker-fired trigger ever.

However, it is about the same size as a Glock 19, which you won't find many people using in either USPSA or IDPA. My guess is you will love the Walther, but want a bigger gun for the gun games.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just finished my first season of USPSA and IDPA with the PPQ's older brother, the P99. I picked up a PPQ this winter and plan to run it in Production and ESP in the spring. Personally, I love the Walthers and would recommend them to anybody looking to get into the sport. You'll do a lot better with a pistol you're comfortable with and enjoy shooting than just going with what everyone else is doing. I'm also the kind of person that likes the challenge of uncharted territory.

Here's my major pros and cons of the PPQ based on what I learned with the P99 which is almost identical:

Pros:

Reliability: The Walthers, like many other striker-fired pistols are extremely reliable. In an entire season of shooting 3 weekends out of the month, I only had two malfunctions. One was a bad primer and the other was a fail to feed. I've seen more malfunctions from Glocks than most others mainly because people tinker with them too much to make them feel right.

Comfort: The ergonomics of the PPQ are superb to every other pistol out there. If a pistol points well for you, you'll be faster and more accurate.

Ambidextrous Magazine and Slide Release: Being left-handed this is a big deal for me. Even if you're righty, the PPQ's controls are well designed for ease of function no matter what hand it's in. Many people have an personal issue with the paddle style magazine release, but once you try it, it makes a lot more sense than the button. Activating the magazine release with your trigger finger ensures you'll never get DQed for having you finger in the trigger guard while reloading. It also allows you to keep your grip and not have to adjust your hand position to reach a button.

The Trigger: As others have stated and probably the most notable feature of the PPQ is the crisp trigger and very short reset. To be honest, the gun is faster than me. Coming from the P99, I'm still getting used to it, bit I definitely see it as an advantage and with a bit of practice, I'm confident that I'll see an improvement in my splits this season.

Accuracy: It's spot-on with all the ammo I've run through it.

Accessories: Because the PPQ is an evolution of the P99 many accessories such as sights and mag pouches will fit both. Many holsters do as well, but not all.

Cons:

Muzzle Flip: If there was one thing I would change in this gun it would be to make a 5in model. This gun was designed for special forces where compactness is a priority. Because of the 4in barrel, the muzzle flip is more noticeable than longer models like the M&P or XDM. This is not enough of an issue for me not to recommend this gun, but I will be honest that it is its only physical flaw.

Availability/Cost of Aftermarket: Since this gun is so new, there hasn't been enough time for a wealth of accessories to hit the market. More and more suppliers are recognizing the PPQs popularity and releasing holsters and other accessories, but you won't have as many choices right now compared to the more accepted models. Also, because this is a very popular import, magazines are in high demand and there are times when they sell out. A factory mag will run you between $35 and $50 which some consider to be too expensive, but they are extremely durable and well worth it.

If you've got any questions about the PPQ feel free to ask. I also recommend checking out some of my P99 videos at youtube.com/withawalther or browsing through waltherforums.com

• 8 months later...

Ah, so that was you on youtube, I've almost messaged you there. Very quick magazine changes I wanted to ask if you used your index finger to drop mags.

Since you've had Walther for a while, can you point for a good source of parts (magazines, replacement sights, etc) for the PPQ online? I got used to the front FO and blacked out rear sights -- is it a possibility for PPQ? Does sight fitting require gunsmith or can it be done at home? I've only briefly glanced at PPQ at the range and didn't have time to check out how sights fit there but man did I love that trigger. What does it measure stock, about 2.5-3 pounds?

PS. I've decided to revive this thread rather than post a new one. After all, it's less than a year old. :)

• 4 months later...