Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags drop out....

Probable reasons why in decreasing probabilities:

1) Is the base pad too thick? With the mag in the gun, is there a little bit of up and down play, or is the basepad flush against the frame? If it's flush, try taking the grips off the gun, and the base pad off the magazine. Insert the magazine and notice how deep it goes. Next put the basepad back on and notice how it doesn't go quite as deep. Sand or file down the top part of the base pad to let the mag go in a little bit deeper.

2) Did you play with the springs in the mag release? (e.g. Cut a coil or two off?) If yes, you may need to go replace the spring.

3) Is this a brand new 10mm Match, or new to you? Older Tanfoglio's had a bad ledge on the mag release that can be fixed by picking up a new mag release.

4) Did you install the Heuning Roller Plunger? If so, the plunger's body that locks in the mag release is thicker than the stock plunger. You'll need to thin down the plunger body, cannibalize the stock plunger, or trim material off the mag release.

Edited by Skydiver

If they are falling out, the mag catch isn't engaging enough.

Look at #1 of what Skydiver said, and look to make sure the notch in your mag doesn't have metal peened into it.

Edited by Nealio

Ok.. first of all this is a new gun with less than 40 rnds through it. I had a match 10mm earlier last year that was used and an older model, I ended up selling it but kept the two mags and they both functioned in that gun. I then bought another match 10mm that was brand new.

All three mags have the t on the side. One has a dimple on the front and is one that does not function. The other 2 look identical but one works and the other doesnt. They both slide in and click in to place where the one with the dimple does not.

The old style 10mm magazines have a less rounded corner where the mag catch engages the magazine. The new style 10mm magazines have a more rounded corner. When the corner is rounded more there is less of the mag catch engaging the magazine. I would suggest that you replace the mag release as a new one will be sticking out far enough to effectively catch and retain both styles of 10mm magazine. On another note, all of the 10mm magazines with a "T" on the side will have feeding issues. Its highly recommended that you get the new style Mec-Gar magazines that have a black/grey follower and "K10" stamped on the side. The new style K10 magazines don't having feeding issues like the old style ones did.

If I was in your boat, I would contact EAA and see if they will exchange your "T" magazines with "K10" ones. Then see if the new K10 magazines are properly retained while you shoot. If they still pop out then get a new mag catch.

Awesome! Thanks for all the info!!! I will contact EAA and see what they say. Is there an easy way to change this gun from a 10mm to a 40cal? I was under the impression all I needed to do was change the barrel, recoil spring and mags, but Eaa recommends that I buy the whole slide and at the price of a slide Im almost to another whole gun.

• 1 month later...

There was a local guy have this exact same issue with his Match 10mm using the old style 10mm magazines. He brought it to me to help figure out why it was happening. I found that the mag catch on the mag release was the root cause of the issue. On the mag release there is a tang that engages the slot in the magazine to retain the mag in the gun. The base of this tang was not cut deep enough so the front edge of the magazine would actually compress the mag release and disengage the tang from the slot in the mag. To fix it I had to use a small stone grinder and grind back the base of the tang until it wouldn't touch the front of the mag any more. Doing this kept the two points from touching and it wouldn't accidentally compress the mag release and drop the mags any more while shooting.

An alternate fix to this is to replace the old style 10mm mags with the new Mec-Gar K10 mags. The K10 mags have a more rounded shoulder where the mag catch tang engages the slot in the mag and this helps keep the mag body from touching this extra material at the base of the mag catch tang.

So if you get the K10 magazines it should fix the issue. If you want to use the old style mags (I don't know why you would want to because they jam like crazy) you will have to modify the base of the mag catch tang to keep it from touching the mag.