Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 9mm barrel life

Magnus_no1

Been have some issues with some softer bullets tumbling. But never shoot those bullets when the gun was new so I cant tell if it's the barrels fault. When I look inside the barrel I imagine the lands are not as sharp as they used to be. But since I have nothing to compare it to I'm not sure.

How much life can you expect from a barrel?

Been have some issues with some softer bullets tumbling. But never shoot those bullets when the gun was new so I cant tell if it's the barrels fault. When I look inside the barrel I imagine the lands are not as sharp as they used to be. But since I have nothing to compare it to I'm not sure.

How much life can you expect from a barrel?

When you say softer, I am assuming you mean lead. Tumbling lead bullets usually means they don't fit the barrel. If you are shooting lead, slug your barrel, measure with a caliper, and add .001-.002 in diameter for what you want to shoot. If you switch between jacketed and lead, you want to make sure you clean the barrel down to the steel inbetween. Also, if you bought .356 bullets, measure them anyway. Just because the box says .356 doesn't mean they are.

I found that if the bullets are sized correct .356 it comes down to crimp with molly, try putting a little more crimp on them. I have tried .355 bullets and they are not very accurate and tumble out of my shadow. 50k plus and still more accurate than me ;)

Edited by KPIC24

Maybe i misunderstand. But are we talking about the normal crimping the case after bullet seating? And just do that harder?

If that helps it's great. But I don't understand why i should. You are making the bullet i a way smaller which to me would have the opposite effect.