Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2 tactical?

Sthrngnr

Hey guys I picked up a M2, and where is a good place to find a 21"-26" barrel? I really wanted to order a 21" field model but they are 60 days out.

Also do any of you use the 18.5" barrel in 3 GUN matches?

I used an 18" Tactical M2 for over a year or so. Did the typical changes you see on about every 3G shotgun (extension, bolt release, charging handle...). It worked fine of course, only down side was with the mag tube aligned to the barrel I could only run 7+1. After a bit of that I just bought a longer center section for the nordic tube to get to 8+1 and just let the mag tube be longer than the barrel. No functional issues at all.

I pretty much tried the same thing you are mentioning, I was looking for a longer vent rib barrel but the ones I could find were too expensive for me to just buy a barrel.

I have used the 18.5" in matches and loved the way it handled and the sights where great for the long slug shots at Ozark. My only complain would be the lack of a fiber optic front sight post.

I ran a 18.5" M1 for a while. I loved the way it handled, but believe that you will lose velocity from the shorter barrel. With Winchester AA light targets, I have had steel look at me when I believe it would have went down from my 24" Nova (of course, you can just use a little hotter load). You will need a +5 to be able to get 8 in the tube of an M1/M2. I put a +6 on mine and let the tube stick out past the barrel, worked fine.

Just this week, I bought a 24" vent rib barrel from Midwest Gun Works for $330 + shipping, I believe I will like it (I've been shooting HM with my 24" Nova for the last two years and like it).When I was using the Ghostring sights on my M1, I drilled the front post and put a piece of .040 fiber in it, it worked pretty good for me.

Hurley

I drilled the front post and put a piece of .040 fiber in it, it worked pretty good for me.

Hurley

That's a good idea! Must take a steady hand.

I put it in a milling machine. I also plunge drilled the post from the top to allow light to get to the fiber. It is not real bright, but better than no fiber.

Hurley

I drilled the front post and put a piece of .040 fiber in it, it worked pretty good for me.

Hurley

That's a good idea! Must take a steady hand.

I put it in a milling machine. I also plunge drilled the post from the top to allow light to get to the fiber. It is not real bright, but better than no fiber.

Hurley

I did mine last night and it turned out pretty good. I was a little nervous as I used my cordless drill to do all the work. You were right that it's not real bright but way better than before. Thanks for the tip!

I run the M2 Tactical for 3-Gun. Nordic +5 mag extension for 8+1; extended bolt handle, DMW speed bar, and I screwed a Safariland 2-shell belt holder to the forearm for my oh-sh...heck reloads. The magazine tube goes past the barrel by a couple of inches (with Briley extended chokes), but other than a wee bit of discoloration on the tip, no biggie. I also have a C-Rums carrier and I have tweaked the carrier latch for easier loading.

I want to see if there's a way to put one of the big Hi-Viz dots in place of the front sight. I am pretty sure I could still shoot slugs very well with that setup, but I'd like something a little faster to pick up for the close-in stuff. Something like a Hi-Viz Mid Brite, maybe.

If you go on Gunbroker and do a search for 21" Benelli M2 barrel, you'll find that Midwest Gun Works sells them for $450 for just the barrel.

I don't know if they actually have them in stock, but since Gunbroker's terms and conditions requires that they do (no presales), I'd say they do.