Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Spring Durability

Sarge

I mentioned running a 7lb spring in my Open gun and liking it when a fellow Open shooter said his gun wears out 7lb springs too fast to use them. I'm not doubting him but I am scratching my head wondering how a high quality spring of any given weight will wear out faster than a different weight.

Are spring weights obtained by using stronger or weaker metals or through design? Or a little of both?

7 lbs. springs certainly feel better than 8lbs. but will not last nearly as long. If you choose to run a 7lbs. spring, be ready to replace it every month, if not every other month. When I run an 8lbs. I only have to change it 3-4 times a year, instead of 6-8 times. It's also about reliability. I would rather run an 8 that never hiccups, than a 7 that feels better, but once in a great while jams. But if you want to try a 7lbs. spring let me know, I have 3 or 4 brand new in a drawer somewhere. When I started in Open I ran a 7lbs. spring for about a year, but soon realized the 8lbs. lasted longer & was more stable.

7 lbs. springs certainly feel better than 8lbs. but will not last nearly as long. If you choose to run a 7lbs. spring, be ready to replace it every month, if not every other month. When I run an 8lbs. I only have to change it 3-4 times a year, instead of 6-8 times. It's also about reliability. I would rather run an 8 that never hiccups, than a 7 that feels better, but once in a great while jams. But if you want to try a 7lbs. spring let me know, I have 3 or 4 brand new in a drawer somewhere. When I started in Open I ran a 7lbs. spring for about a year, but soon realized the 8lbs. lasted longer & was more stable.

does your gun have any slide lightening or barrel ports?

Good question Kevin.

I never got to the 7LB, it was 8Lbs I used rather quickly. About 200 rounds and the slide started moving pretty slow. Now I have to admit I don't think I ever got the really good Variables. I read somewhere that you should run variable rate versus conventional rate in open guns.

May be someone will chime in on this thread and recommend some long lasting 7 LB and if they were variable rate.