Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M1 S90 Recoil Spring

Sig Shooter

He guys I need a little help from the pros. I use an M1 S90 for the 3 gun. Last year I used 1 1/8 oz loads to get it to function reliably. When I used the heavy loads in ran great but light or low power loads would cause it to stumble and not fully cycle. I have read pros and cons on the reduced power spring so my question is.

1. Use the extra power spring and use full power/heavy loads? (Knocking down some steel farther than 25 yards should be easier)

2. Use the reduced power spring so I can run lighter loads and hopefully be faster on my follow up shots. (Has anyone had problems with the gun coming out of battery or other problems?)

3. Stick with the stock spring and don't be a puss and get used to it.

I went to one of the lighter springs when my gun was short-stroking. Turns out, the gun was too heavy with an 8-round tube, loaded Side-Saddle, and a SureFire light.

The Benelli engineers will tell you that the gun will not run right if it is 500 grams over the weight that it left the factory. That number includes ammo, although it is not critical. The average shotshell weighs 53 grams each.

(The ammo in the mag tube can move around slightly and although it acts a little like a shock absorber, it doesn't retard the recoil of the gun like non-moveable weight does.)

Weight does weird things to Intertially-Driven guns....

I have two Benelli M1's.

One WILL NOT run with a side saddle full of 12 gauge on the side of the receiver (It was 7+1+ Side Saddle).

It runs fine with 8 in the tube, 1 in the chamber, and one on the lifter.

The other runs just fine with 14 rounds loaded in it (12+1+1).

I ran one for years with a factory spring - had it hang up once every 200 rounds.

I run both now with a reduced spring - hangs up once every 200-400 and I've done it for more than a year.

Your mileage may vary.

Edited by DyNo!

Reduced power Wolff spring in recoil tube. Walmart Value Pak 7.5 3 1/18Dram will run really reliable. You need to check out slugs , #6 , and 00 buckshot on your own. Anything heavier will cycle fine. Can't really reduce recoil too much in Benelli. Only hangup I remember is 30 slug house clearing stage-last shot needed one push into battery. No side saddles, no junk on the gun. Go with the reduced power spring.