Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non-Temperature Sensitive Power for 9mm?

Dannix

I enjoyed Silhouette when I was still shooting 115grn JRN. I got a quite accurate load out if it. I noticed some variableness though, and after reading more here, apparently it is reverse-temperature sensitive.

Another power I was looking at for pushing 140grn cast boolits, WSF, apparently is reverse temperature sensitive as well. A powder I was looking at trying for non-warm loads, Solo 1k, is apparently reverse temperature sensitive.

Is there any powder for 9x19 that's not particularly temperature dependent? I'm interested primarily in powders more applicable for warmer loads, but powders suitable for only minor loads are welcome as well. AA7? One of the VV powders?

Thanks!

Ultimately I'm looking for is a powder that will propel 140grn boolit to 1100fps, at below +P pressures, in a load that can hit a penny at 10yrds, with low flash and temperature resilient. Somehow I doubt I'll be able to check all those boxes, but I'm willing to be surprised.

Edited by Dannix

I thought I had seen N320 mentioned around. It looks like great option for a minor/slower load.

Apparently it has a too fast burn-rate for a 1100fps load though.

post-24604-0-83857500-1325826380_thumb.g

post-24604-0-20859900-1325826393_thumb.g

Edited by Dannix

• 2 weeks later...

Pushing a 140 gn bullet at 1100 FPS in a 9mm and under +P pressure will be tough to do. Additioanl information would be heplfull, like what type of gun & barrel length. A longer barrel will be make it easier as you can use a slower burning powder to get there, as well as, loading slightly longer to keep pressure down some.

All powders are tempature sensitive to some extent, after all it is a chemical reaction, but the Vit. powder is more stable then most. Try VV340 at about 4.0 to 4.5 gn.

MDA

I chronographed HS6 in 9mm last week while temperatures were in the high 20's and had very consistent velocities across the board with different weight bullets and case manufacturers. I would say HS6 is insensitive, and non-tempermental. I also used some Accurate No. 5 and noted that it was consistent at lower temps as well.

ive had good luck with tightgroup for my 9mm loads. right now im shooting about a 133 pf out of my HK using 3.9 gr of tightgroup with a 124gr Berry's rsds. if i recall, the extreme spread was about 25fps for my loads too

Thanks all!

mda, I'm ok with +P to an extent, but not too +P, at least not for every day plinking, and certainly not into Major territory. FN Hi Power Alloy with buffer and 18.5lb spring -- not something I would like to shot +P+ in, at least not to too great an extent. The Lee#2 manual has 147 Jacked AA#7 load at ~1050fps. I just got in a chrono so I'll start trying loads with 140gr lead shortly. I'll likely tone it down for accuracy sake and to save wear and tear on the gun, and am pickup a mold 125/130grn HP for greater fps loads.

I load rounds that I may not shoot until over a year later, so temperature sensitive powders are less attractive for me than if I was competing.