Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New L10 Division Blaster

Chuck D

I choose to shoot a single stack .45 in L10 because real shooters know rocking and rolling with a SS in .45 is the shit.

If I was looking at L10 seriously and wanted the advantage of a little faster reload, cheaper components, and a quicker impulse, I would shoot a fat gun loaded to 10 rounds.

I think Ron hit it on the head in both parts of his response. A single stack has more "sex appeal" as an L10 gun - to me anyway. I - personally - can load a widebody a little faster and a Hell of a lot more consistently than My single stack. I always use my SS /.45 for L10 cause I just think that "Its the Right Thing To Do."

I did not (and would not) lose a lot of time worrying about my decision on what gun to shoot though.... :D Here is what I THINK an L10 gun looks like.

176854.JPG

Doublestack: .40 S&W.

Singlestack: .45 ACP.

What Duane said! Why? Because Brian once explained that those calibers in those respective frames are the easiest to make run reliably --- with the .45 ACP singlestack still being a bit easier to tune than a .40 widebody. No point in making this harder than it needs to be, right?

My Widebody SV in 45 is 6 years old with roughly 45,000 rounds through it and hasn't let me down yet.

I doubt seriously it's the caliber that makes it reliable but I'd dare say it's the gunsmithing that makes all the difference. ;)

I have a SV in 40 and a SS in 45 (6"). For L-10 I have used both and I like the 45 better for L-10. I'm not sure if its the extra inch on the slide (my eyes are getting older) or what. I have smaller hands so I think thats why I like the SS. My reloads are the same with either a SS or wide body. It is fun to win with a SS against a wide body in L-10. But then again I also used a M-1 Garand in a three gun match rather than my open AR (Now thats fun!!!). Several of my shooting friends have stated that I shoot the SS better than the wide body.

Bottom line:Its an individual thing with physical make up, money and other "stuff" (like the "fun factor"). For a new shooter I would go with a wide body STI/SV in 40 so that they could shoot in limited and L-10. If its just L-10....Like Ron said....the SS 45 "rocks".