Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SX2 vs SLP mk 1

dauntedfuture

Im looking to upgrade to a new SG. I am leaning to a new SLP MK 1 22". It appears that the winchester SX2/3 is the same gun. As i understand it the read difference between the two would be a 24" VR barrel vs a 22" with cantileaver if i add a mag extension and i would be into the winchester for about 250 less than the FN. Im not sure if im wild about the cantileaver sight on the FN but it appears to work well for lots of shooters. I would put a 10/22 rear sight into the VR on the SX2/3. Is this correct or is there something different between the two other than the barrels and mag extension?

tanks.

Edited by dauntedfuture

I'm just stating to shoot my SLP Mk1. I've done two matches so far and about another 200 rounds in training. I've been very happy with it so far, only 2 failures to feed. Bud's has the bast price I could find. I didn't look too much into the SX2 but I can tell you that the cantilevered deal is not worth worrying about. I don't even notice it, it kind of gives you a rear channel to use when shooting slugs if you don't want to flip up the rear sight, I leave mine down all the time. You just have to get an idea of what hold you need with the slugs and use the rear notch to help with a consistent hold on slugs.

Just make sure the SX2 comes with both pistons. You'll need the light one for most Walmart style loads. I've run all the cheap loads from Walmart without any noticeable feeding issues. I shoot left handed and the Federal Walmart loads were blowing crap all over my face and glasses so I use the WInchester loads that seem to be cleaner and shoot lighter. The two feeding issues I've had were one shell not dropping out of the mag tube into the lifter and another that didn't feed into the chamber. A tap on the charging handle fixed the feeding issue on the second problem and working the bolt once caused the round to feed out of the mag tube.

I bet you will get more chokes with the SX2 since it's a bird gun so that might be a bonus. The SLP only comes with two. The stock is a little too long for me on the SLP so I might have it cut down. I'm 5'11" and I prefer a shorter stocks so I don't have to blade off as much. I have a hard time mounting and unmounting the gun because of the length of pull. If the SX2 had a longer LOP that would be a deal breaker for me. You might want to check the difference in LOP. Also I don't know if the triggers will be the same or not. The SLP is pretty good. It's much better than the Mossbergs I have used in the past.

On the SLP the mag tube is one piece so to me that's a plus. It's just seems like a better designed package for what we're doing. You can always get a longer barrel for the SLP if you want to use it as a hunting gun. FN offers several others all the way out to 28" I think.

i have/had an slp, sx2, and sx3 the main differnce is wieght and sights

my 26inch sx2 is abit lighter than my slp was and my 28inch sx3 is a little lighter than the sx2 so just buy which ever one fits you better and you like the looks of

o and buds gunshop has some of the sx3 compacts for 700 if you like shorter stocks

The length of pull on the SLP and SX-2/3 is the same, you can trim roughly 1/2 off of an SX/SLP synthetic stock non dura-touch stock. I had an SX-2 cut down for my wife, don't think it would be that hard, just never done it personally.

I found a like new SLP 18 1/2" on a local forum for $700 with all the goodies and an extra light piston.

I run Remington Shur Shot in my SLP 22" the 11/8 oz loads run 100%, the cheaper 1 oz loads do not. The 1 oz starts to show its inferiority on a Spinner target, not enough knock down.

I flip my sights up for slug shots, and the Wolf rifled slugs hit POA, in the last NRA 3-Gun match the hits over lapped each other on the targets (30 yards squatting thru a port). I flip them up at the start of the stage, and shoot all the shots with them up, no I didn't miss any clays.

• 3 weeks later...

I run Remington Shur Shot in my SLP 22" the 11/8 oz loads run 100%, the cheaper 1 oz loads do not. The 1 oz starts to show its inferiority on a Spinner target, not enough knock down.

I flip my sights up for slug shots, and the Wolf rifled slugs hit POA, in the last NRA 3-Gun match the hits over lapped each other on the targets (30 yards squatting thru a port). I flip them up at the start of the stage, and shoot all the shots with them up, no I didn't miss any clays.

thanks for the detailed report