Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metallic Sight- front sight width

BigDave

Hi Dave-

I shoot a 6" Revolver, it probably has about the same sight radius as a 6" auto. I used to use a .125 front and rear, but have gone to a .100 front. Having a little more air gap helps a lot on the fast parts and I don't feel like I'm losing any accuracy on the long shots. I also have front and rear fiber optics which helps keep track of the sights on a dark background.

Dave,

I measured the sights on my 6". I'm using an Aristocrat rear which has a .110" wide notch. The front sight is .125". It's probably .1245" as I filed down the sides until I could get a little light around it. I like just a little light around the front sight, I feel it is more precise that way. With the time limits that we have I can still pick it up fast enough.

I tried a fiber optic front but it glowed to the point of washing out the sides of the sight. I use the black sights for precision work and use the fiber optic for speed.

I like the way Rob Vadez has his sights. REALLY BIG. I have tried what Kevin likes and could not make it work, I suspect he is more patient than I am. I tend towards what the bullseye guys use, which is the front sight should "appear to be" 1/2 the width of the notch in the rear sight.

Tried fibre optics, YUK, went back to plain black. For AP targets and the timing and style of the shooting I do not believe they are the best way. Many IPSC guys like them and stick to them for their Production Guns, (staying with what they use 90% of the time they are not shooting AP), seems to work for them. Not for me.

On my revolvers I use Aristocrat sight ribs with the standard .125" front blade and I open the rears up to around .130". That lets enough light up either side to help with the faster sight acquisition time at the close bits, but still allows good accurate shots at the long bits.

It depends A LOT on your eyes.... how well they work....and how old they are ! Older eyes like a bit more light up the sides (like GM Iprod :surprise: )

My eyes are pretty screwed up as far as focusing goes. I make up for it with glasses. My optometrist set me up with a script so that I can see the front sight clearly. I brought the gun in to her office and she hooked me up. My front sight has a slight ramp too it and I used a 30 lpi checkering file to serrate it. When I focus on the serrations the shots are where they should be. As soon as my attention drifts then forget it.

My 6" Caspian 1911 slide has an 0.072 rear and a 0.095 front... all black - no fiber optic.

I tried a wide set and didn't like them at all. My eye keeps checking each side of the front sight and the wider the sight, the further I have to move my focus.

I've settled on the narrow set.