Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.357 Remington Maximum Powder for 550B

famous187

I live in Indiana and will be using a T/C Encore Rifle in .357 Maximum next year for deer hunting. I already have the dies & caliber converison for my Dillon 550B and now I'm starting to get my components together. Here is what I will be using so far:

Hornady 180gr .357 HP XTP Bullets

Remington .357 Max New Brass

Remington Small Rifle Primers

The only thing I'm not sure on is what powder to use. I have read good things about 2400 , IMR 4227 , H110 , and AA 1680 in this cartridge. I'm wondering what powder will work the best in my Dillon 550B. I have only reloaded .45ACP and 9mm on it thus far with Bullseye and HP-38, which have metered fine. I want to be able to use the powder feed on my Dillon 550B so I want to pick the powder that will meter the best. Anybody help on picking one out?

thanks

chris

I live in Indiana and will be using a T/C Encore Rifle in .357 Maximum next year for deer hunting. I already have the dies & caliber converison for my Dillon 550B and now I'm starting to get my components together. Here is what I will be using so far:

Hornady 180gr .357 HP XTP Bullets

Remington .357 Max New Brass

Remington Small Rifle Primers

The only thing I'm not sure on is what powder to use. I have read good things about 2400 , IMR 4227 , H110 , and AA 1680 in this cartridge. I'm wondering what powder will work the best in my Dillon 550B. I have only reloaded .45ACP and 9mm on it thus far with Bullseye and HP-38, which have metered fine. I want to be able to use the powder feed on my Dillon 550B so I want to pick the powder that will meter the best. Anybody help on picking one out?

thanks

chris

I've used the 2400 for years in regular old .357 mag and it works great. It also runs well in the Dillon. Pretty much any fine powder will work well in my experience. However, when I load super accurate loads, I always trickle charge each load but

that doesn't exactly work progressively. Haven't used any of the other powders you mention so can't help with those.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will buy a pound of the 2400 and try it out.

Question though, if I decided to do the powder charge step outside of the progressive press, what would be the best / cheapest way to accomplish that? I will not be loading a big volume of this round so I don't really mind the extra time it would take. If I did do that, how would I set the belling on the case since I wouldn't be using the 2nd spot to charge on the 550B, which without the powder funnel wouldn't set the bell?

thanks

chris

If you really want to weigh powder charges, then I recommend using the AT-500 powder die #16629 and plastic funnel #16617. This die has a set screw to secure the steel expander funnel in place, so still expand and flare cases, yet can pour a weighed powder charge through the funnel into the case. No need to remove the case from the loader, charge it, then return it to the loader to finish the loading sequence.

Yep - use Hogdon H4227. I have a 44 Mag. load with it that shoots a 300 gr. XTP very well.

I'm getting about 6" groups at 200 meters out of an 8-3/8 factory S&W barrel. The 4227 is also an "Extreme" powder. The Hogdon extreme powders are very temperature insensitive. That means they will shoot the same over a broad range of temperatures.

I load everything on Dillon 550s with no weighing of powder charges except to set the powder measure initially, and check occasionally.

Edited by Toolguy