Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Critiques and Suggested Dry/Live Drills?

JoeinLA

Hello, I've been shooting for about 6 months now, and am feeling fairly comfortable with how I'm progressing; but I'm always looking to get better.

Here's a video of a stage from my last match, which is a steel action pistol setup (it's the only "competition" that I do, and it's once a month). I think this represents the best that I'm doing right now.

To me, I can see 2 specific areas of improvement: 1. work on reloading MUCH faster, and 2. work on faster initial target/sight acquisition. Another thing I'm doing wrong is not seeing targets at all (I get a sort of tunnel vision, I think), but I'm not sure how to fix that without slowing down much too much.

My regular range doesn't allow drawing from the holster or shooting while moving or anything like that - it's a "static shoot from the table" type place. I can go out to a range that will allow me to practice more liberally, but only once every week or two as it's a bit farther away.

Anyways, please let me know your thoughts/comments/advice, and also if you can suggest any specific drills that you think would be helpful (particularly in light of the fact that I can't shoot live every day), that would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the link. I guess I can't just paste it here since I'm too new (if someone wants to link it, that would be awesome):

it's: smugmug (dot) com / gallery / 20146687_FQ4vMz [Just remove all the spaces]. Sorry, the forum software won't seem to let me actually link it's b/c I'm too new.

Thanks!

Edited by JoeinLA

Joe, dryfire took me a long way in shooting sports. Below is a video that I made a few years ago with some drills:

And here are three links to different threads that I've created pertaining to dryfiring:

Linky 1

Linky 2 (and I apologize, the video link is broken there :closedeyes:

Linky 3 (which contains some discussion pertaining to the video linked above).

Hopefully this will be a productive primer for your inquiry :)

I was thinking about your post while at the gym and wanted to add a few things...You state that you want to really hammer down your reloads and target acquisition, and it sounds like you also want a better draw. You are really in luck because you can hone those skill sets through dryfire in your own home. Even just a little bit every day practicing proper technique will make those skills automatic and unthinking.

Linky to Joe's video: here

To me, I can see 2 specific areas of improvement: 1. work on reloading MUCH faster, and 2. work on faster initial target/sight acquisition. Another thing I'm doing wrong is not seeing targets at all (I get a sort of tunnel vision, I think), but I'm not sure how to fix that without slowing down much too much.

Thanks!

Here's what I saw...

Reloads 1: You've got this little shake-the-wrist thing going. Is it because your mags do not drop free? Might want to look at that if they don't.

Reloads 2: You'll get this a lot - hold the gun higher, in your vision when doing the reload. The next array should be in your vision while you're reloading. Having the gun higher helps you acquire the next target quicker.

Reloads 3: Do a search for "reload" - there are quite a few good threads about the topic.

Target acquisiton: It seemed that you were not entirely sure where all of the target were located when you ran the stage. In a prop heavy stage like that, it really helps to have all of the target engagement locations memorised before the buzzer. It's definitely an acquired skill and you'll get better at it with time and experience.

Lastly, like Michah said: dryfire - a lot. Both reloads and target acquisition can be practiced with BIGTIME results.

:cheers:

I bought a CED7000 timer, put up 2 USPSA targets on the wall, about 6 feet apart. I too don't have a range to train at, I am lucky enough to shoot every tuesday with a fun 4 stage match. This is obviously better than nothing, but 80 rounds for the night, with different stages is not even close training wise to have a plate rack and 300 rounds.

Anyway, I dryfire as much as possible. My routine goes like this: Slow draw from holster for 2 minutes to see sight picture on uspsa target. Using timer, I set a par time for draw and fire on target. I do this for a couple minutes then lower the par time. I treat this like a gym workout, pushing to my max. So I work to my max par time for draw and fire. I finish with 10 draws of a part time slightly to fast for me. To keep pushing myself.

I then work on reloads. I start with the Burkett practice, grab mag and insert to first finger only, so the mag just barely enters the magwell. I do this roughly 50 times. Next I turn on the timer and set a reasonable par time for dryfire and mag change to sight picture. I do this as my warm up, then just like draw times, I lower the par time in sets until I can not beat it. I usually do 20 mag changes at each par set.

To finish, I set a long par time, I start in front of one of my targets, draw-fire-mag change on the move-fire on second target. I do this going left to right and right to left. I am a righty so I focus the right to left movement reload so I do not break the 180 rule.

I use this same method for my AR and Shotgun practice, as I am going to start in the 3 gun world. In USPSA, I have 5 mini matches and 2 club matches under my belt in the last 3 months. I have botched 1 mag change during all this, and continually receive comments about how smooth my mag changes are and question how long I have been doing this for.

Thanks for all the great replies. It really gives me an idea of how to actually put together a "training regimen".

The other thing I think I can practice at the range is faster double taps. I tried last night, but not entirely sure how people are able to just blaze away and actually hit anything :)

Keep 'em coming!

The other thing I think I can practice at the range is faster double taps. I tried last night, but not entirely sure how people are able to just blaze away and actually hit anything :)

Keep 'em coming!

They take two aimed shots, but have more experience in seeing what they need to see in order to confirm that their sights are on an acceptable portion of the target when they pull the trigger.

You're gonna get a lot of this too: take two aimed shots as opposed to a "double tap". DT implies two shots with one sighting reference. You need to see/call both shots. This is another acquired skill so don't be discouraged if you cannot reliably call your shots right away. Just add it to the practice list.