Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trigger control and cold fingers

Mr Unnatural

Hi

Don't know if it's in the right forum topic, so feel free to move it to a more appropriate place.

My new standard gun is on it's journey to me and I have the opportunity to discus the trigger tuning with my gunsmith who will do the final tuning.

I prefer a short pick up and a very crisp brake with a short over travel. Lately while training in the cold I'm getting not a good feel for picking up the trigger slack with my current gun. I have no experience/comparison by shooting different triggers in the cold.

So I was wondering if you consider shooting in cold circumstances when deciding on tuning the trigger. If so what are your considerations and what did you decide on.

Regards,

Rick

PS

If you think I'm over thinking it, I'd like to hear that to.

Depends on your shooting style. If you end up slapping trigger anyway, then it doesn't matter if you cannot feel the initial take up and the trigger break. If you are a precision rifle or bullseye pistol shooter, then knowing when the trigger breaks would be a lot more important to you. In that case, it may not be a matter of having enough pre-travel, but rather having enough trigger weight to give you the needed feedback. Irregardless whether you are a slapper or a squeezer, it's important that the sights are where you want them, and they don't move when you initiate the action.

Edited by Skydiver

Hi

The way I press my trigger depends on the dificulty of the shot. I do not have one specific style (yet). It is for my IPSC standard gun.

In comparing 'trigger jobs" I have found that for me I find the "character" of the trigger is more important how I feel/perceive the trigger than the actual measured weight of the trigger. I don't know if this makes sense for others but this is the best I can describe my personal observations.

You're correct on that feeling the pre-travel is very hard to impossible. Picking up the pre-travel when preapring for the next shot is hard to or even impossible.

I think this is were I get sloppy and loose even more trigger controle when I try to make up for it. Making up for not prepping the trigger. My shot calling is not highly developed yet, so I can't use that learning experience to fully understand this.

Rick

Tried several techniques, but finally decided after shooting winter matches here in the rocky mountains, that you keep your hands gloved with "Grabber" warmers, disposable , usually get them at Cabelas, get the small ones that fit in the gloves. Your hands will be nice and toasty shoot the stage and glove back up....

tape does not work well here at these temperatures, it rips, we mostly use 3/4 in pasters, left hand gloved, right not, it is only a few secs.

Roll goes back in your pocket if you are taping, hand back in the glove. WA, does not get that cold does it, temps here in the 20s. last nights overnight low was 3 :cheers: . if the temps get into the 30s and sunny that is a great day to practice.

I must have the wrong gloves or the incorrect taping technique, but how do you tape targets with gloves on? The tape just sticks to my gloves.

As with everything else...practice. Or. You could cut the glove at the first knuckle of the trigger and thumb. This should solve the tape and trigger finger problem while keeping the hands warm.

I must have the wrong gloves or the incorrect taping technique, but how do you tape targets with gloves on? The tape just sticks to my gloves.

As with everything else...practice. Or. You could cut the glove at the first knuckle of the trigger and thumb. This should solve the tape and trigger finger problem while keeping the hands warm.

I would like to hear all the comments each time he tries to slip the cut off glove fingers back on :roflol::roflol:

I don't need to practice being cold as the Air Force sent me to some of it's better stateside practice fields, Loring AFB, ME and Sault Ste Marie, MI. If you mean shooting practice, cutting the finger off a glove at zero is a good way to lose a finger.

I would like to hear all the comments each time he tries to slip the cut off glove fingers back on :roflol::roflol:

It's called " Velcro".

I don't need to practice being cold as the Air Force sent me to some of it's better stateside practice fields, Loring AFB, ME and Sault Ste Marie, MI. If you mean shooting practice, cutting the finger off a glove at zero is a good way to lose a finger.

What, no Minot?

What, no Minot?

Nope, I was Long Range Radar repair I used Loring because I doubt anyone has heard of Limestone, ME or Lakeside ,MT or Leah Bay,WA.

What, no Minot?

Nope, I was Long Range Radar repair I used Loring because I doubt anyone has heard of Limestone, ME or Lakeside ,MT or Leah Bay,WA.

An RF Cowboy you must be. IFF and Search Radar here.

Edited by West Texas Granny

It's called " Velcro".

To continue my on going luck with finding gloves that I like being discontinued. I managed to find a version of Seirus's All Weather glove where the thumb and fore finger tips could be slipped off and folded back to velcro attachments. When done taping, un-velcro, unfold, and put finger tips back in. Neat idea and good for the the milder winters here. I quickly managed to get paint all over it when I was resetting steel. Too bad it's been discontinued (or at least I'm not finding it on the company website), otherwise I would have ordered more.