Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm reload trial target opinions needed

p5200

I tried loading a few rounds today for my M&P 40FS with KKM 40-9mm conversion barrel installed. I usually shoot low and to the right a little but, it seems when I raised my head up a little higher today, my groups also went higher does this make any sense? I seem to shoot to the right even with the 40 cal. factory barrel installed. I have very little experience shooting pistols and poor eye sight so, it shows in my target. I plan to try shooting from a rest first before trying to move the rear sight adjustment though. I don't have much luck with the muzzle returning to the same position. I have plenty of grip strength so the pistol doesn't move around in my hands but, I must be doing something wrong as far as consistency I guess. Any suggestions other than practice,practice, and practice are sure welcomed. I shoot slow fire mainly for groups although, you couldn't tell from my target. :lol: Thanks! 005.jpg WOW! I'm not good with a camera either! :blush:

I have very little experience shooting pistols and poor eye sight so :blush:

Looks like you are doing well, the gun is probably pretty well on since you have a good grouping at 2 pm, Leave it like it is till you can shoot more consistent groups. With what you have at 2 pm you would be taking down plates on a plate rack at 15 yards, or poppers. You probably wouldn't have any issues till 50 yards.

Should I practice at a little closer range till I get more consistent? I saved the pdf file I've never seen that one before pretty nifty! I wondered if my barrel would handle the 147gn. bullets alright without keyholing and it seems like it does just fine. I have some 115gn. also and plan to get some 124-125 gr. to try. I am left eye dominant but shoot right handed but, my right eye is the worst with a cataract. should I be using my left eye to shoot with? I've tried both eyes open but it seems impossible since my right eye is so bad. If I shoot with one eye (left) should I cover the other lens with tape? It seems like if I close the other eye it causes the eye I'm aiming with to blur some but,it doesn't if I just cover the other eye with my hand. Sorry about all the questions but, really appreciate all the experienced help! :cheers:

Should I practice at a little closer range?

my right eye is the worst with a cataract.

P5200, I wouldn't practice at less than 15 yards - that's

pretty close - no big advantage to shooting at 5 - 10 yds,

IMHO.

If my right eye had a cataract, I'd use my left eye. Also

think about cataract surgery at some point.

Your 15 shot group isn't that bad = I see a 10 shot group

a little high and right - fairly round, with five out-lyers

three low and slightly left, and two high and slightly right.

Not great for 15 yards, but not bad - could be the sights

aren't set in properly, or the ammo / gun isn't all that

accurate.

Fire some more 12 -15 shot groups at 15 yards, try different

loads (bullets/powders/powder amounts) and see if you can't

get the group a little smaller, and consistent. Try a solid

rest and using your better eye - see what happens.

Do you have a .22 handgun you can try out - same distance,

same target? See how that works for you.

Good luck,

Jack

Should I practice at a little closer range till I get more consistent? I saved the pdf file I've never seen that one before pretty nifty! I wondered if my barrel would handle the 147gn. bullets alright without keyholing and it seems like it does just fine. I have some 115gn. also and plan to get some 124-125 gr. to try. I am left eye dominant but shoot right handed but, my right eye is the worst with a cataract. should I be using my left eye to shoot with? I've tried both eyes open but it seems impossible since my right eye is so bad. If I shoot with one eye (left) should I cover the other lens with tape? It seems like if I close the other eye it causes the eye I'm aiming with to blur some but,it doesn't if I just cover the other eye with my hand. Sorry about all the questions but, really appreciate all the experienced help! :cheers:

Your group isn't bad at all at 15 yards, and you're probably being a little too hard on yourself. But, being hard on ourselves is ok in the shooting world. We never settle and we strive for perfection, and that's the only way we improve. Do some searching around on this forum and you'll find some excellent advice on group shooting, especially from Brian Enos.

I've found that I can more consistently bring the sights back on target after the 1st shot, if I don't try to force the gun back down on the target, and I "Let" the sights come back down into alignment naturally. When group shooting, I normally don't fire a follow up shot, but I let the gun come back down, and the sights back into alignment as if I were going to fire a second shot, and I prep the trigger as if I was going to fire the second shot. Do it slow to begin with and build up speed over time. If you practice enough, one day it will be a natural reaction and it'll happen without any trying or conscious effort on you part...the same sight picture will just be there and aimed at the same spot. See the sights lift, call the shot, see the sights back on target.

Shot calling is the key to accuracy, but I won't go into that. Again, search the forum on group shooting, and shot calling. You'll find some excellent advice.

I'm also left eye dominant. I'm one of those lucky one's that can shoot with both eyes open since my left eye automatically takes over. Once in a blue moon my right eye decides to join the party, and that causes a slight ghost image when looking at the sights, but I've learn to ignore the ghost image, and the sights are still lined up the way they should be. If your left eye isn't strong enough to totally take over most of the time, try a small piece of Scotch tape on the right lens.

Edited by grapemiester

My suggestion of 10 yards was so you could group better to see that your sights are or not where you think they are. Since you are thinking of changing powders and bullets etc, it makes little since to change the sights till you settle on a load. The POI will move with different loads, and bullet weights. Most people discont this, but, I learned with the open gun that it does in fact move more than most think a couple inches is common, and i'm talking up down and sideways.

Sounds like we are in the same boat, I have an appointment next month with the eye surgeon to see about getting Cataract surgery. My insurance will pay for it, and if you have Medicare they cover it as well. Cataracts don't go away and they only get worse with time. I'm left eye dominant and started where you are, I worked for months dry firing till I could shoot with both eyes open, I went thru a phase where while shooting I could sense I was swapping eyes. Shooting with both eyes open is just a matter of putting the gun in front of the dominant eye, in our case the left eye. Did it improve my shooting, I don't think so, I did just as well by closing the right eye, but it did keep me from tripping over the props. Bottom line it is a lot easier to put tape on you glasses than spend the time need to learn to shoot with both eyes. I know lots of "older shooters" lot younger than me, that have two different lens one for the sights and one for the taget distance, I went to open, but may go back to irons if I get a good set of peepers.