Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plumbing Question

We had a water softening system installed and their instructions tell us to open the water tank drain and let it run for a minute or so multiple times to get the loose deposits out of the tank.

What I am reading and watching online say NOT to do this with an active water heater. They all say the tank should be turned off and allowed to cool. Quite frankly, that is just too much work as the water softener instructions say to do this repeatedly over several weeks or months to make sure the tank is as clean as possible.

So if there is a good plumber hanging out amongst us I would appreciate a little walk through of what I should do.

Thanks

Edited by Kevin Sanders

I partially drain my water heater monthly. I am guessing the "cool down" part is just to keep you from getting burned. On my water heater (and the majority I have seen), you can hook a water hose to it and run the water wherever you want it. I don't recommend a cheap, flimsy hose for this though as the water is hot! You don't want a melted hose if you have your water temp set very high.

Dale

Edited by Dale Rader

Some questions:

Which tank are you cleaning? Softener tank or well tank? A good softening system should backwash and clean itself from a brine tank. You should be adding salt to a tank to make the brine solution and the softener should have a timer head that tells it when to regenerate.

If it is the well tank, once it is flushed, I would only clear it a couple times a year unless your water is the color of tomato soup.

The problem with draining and a water heater is they are afraid you will siphon off the hot water unless you have a working vacuum breaker installed on top of the heater. BUT if you shut off the cold water feed to the water heater, the chances of siphoning are slim. You will be able to tell by feeling the piping. If the piping gets hot, you are siphoning.

If it is a gas water heater, turn the gas valve to pilot so it will not fire. If it is oil, turn the switch off. If electric, shut off the breaker (usually a double pole) That way should you start to siphon you won't burn the tank.

Hope this helps.

example of vacuum breaker

N36.jpg

Edit to add: Licensed in Ma with 30yrs in the trade and various training including water purification and lots more that they made me pay for and I rarely use :blush:

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Round_Gun_Shooter,,has some good advice,I also have replaced a few water heaters that people wanted to clean and drained ,then call me,and I go in and pull the breaker.They just don't work without water,,,

and I thought all he could do was to raise pretty puppies :roflol:

Some questions:

Which tank are you cleaning? Softener tank or well tank? A good softening system should backwash and clean itself from a brine tank. You should be adding salt to a tank to make the brine solution and the softener should have a timer head that tells it when to regenerate.

If it is the well tank, once it is flushed, I would only clear it a couple times a year unless your water is the color of tomato soup.

The problem with draining and a water heater is they are afraid you will siphon off the hot water unless you have a working vacuum breaker installed on top of the heater. BUT if you shut off the cold water feed to the water heater, the chances of siphoning are slim. You will be able to tell by feeling the piping. If the piping gets hot, you are siphoning.

If it is a gas water heater, turn the gas valve to pilot so it will not fire. If it is oil, turn the switch off. If electric, shut off the breaker (usually a double pole) That way should you start to siphon you won't burn the tank.

Hope this helps.

example of vacuum breaker

N36.jpg

Edit to add: Licensed in Ma with 30yrs in the trade and various training including water purification and lots more that they made me pay for and I rarely use :blush:

No I'm not trying to drain a softener. We installed Easy Water and after 60 days we are supposed to start draining the water heater for about a minute several different times until the water is pretty much clean. From what I am reading the Easy Water decalcifies the tank and plumbing resulting in more deposits in the water heater.

I turned the drain valve and nothing happened So I am guessing it's either blocked or I have to vent it somehow?

No I'm not trying to drain a softener. We installed Easy Water and after 60 days we are supposed to start draining the water heater for about a minute several different times until the water is pretty much clean. From what I am reading the Easy Water decalcifies the tank and plumbing resulting in more deposits in the water heater.

I turned the drain valve and nothing happened So I am guessing it's either blocked or I have to vent it somehow?

If the drain valve is blocked, rig up a short hose (washing machine hose) to the drain (female both ends) and run a garden hose to it. Open a hot water faucet and with cold supply shut off to the water heater, blow cold water in through the drain using the hose set up. Shut the water off, disconnect the hose, and let some drain off. The open hot water faucet will vent the tank. Again, turn off the gas, oil or electric. Only reason to allow the tank to cool is as was stated by Dale to avoid scald.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter