Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm Glock spring recommendation

super95six

I'm building a long-slide 10mm Glock with a lone wolf open-top slide and 6.02" barrel. My question is: what would be an ideal spring weight for use with "hot" 10mm hunting loads with this combination. The gun will see standard pressure loads for testing/range time, but I don't want to beat up the frame when I occasionally use it for hunting (it will never wear a comp). I'm hoping someone with a similar setup can recommend a smooth and reliable compromise.

I would also be very open to any experienced advice on a good over the counter 10mm black bear/pig round.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I run a 22# ISMI in my G20LS, and it eats everything I feed it. It has cycled everything from a 180gr JHP@950fps to a 200gr WFNGC@1370fps (chrono'd handloads). It also works with my 9x25 Dillon loads, including a 90gr XTP@2050fps. I would suggest at a minimum 22#, and I'm even considering the 24# ISMI.

For a factory loaded hunting round, as much as I hate to say it, Double Tap's 200gr WFNGC would be my choice. Their velocity claims are extremely inflated. That load claims 1300fps/4.6" barrel, but in my 6" barrel it only got 1215fps. It should have been at or over 1400fps, but a 200gr WFNGC @ 1200+fps is more than enough for pigs. Also check out Buffalo Bore & Underwood Ammo.

I tried to post a picture of mine, but I don't have enough posts to do that I guess...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a stock 20SF with an IMSI guide rod and a 22lb spring. I found that even with the heavy spring I had reliable feeding with both full power 180gr Buffalo Bore loads and the down loaded Winchester factory 175gr STHP's. I honestly didn't notice any difference in recoil or accuracy, but the velocity was consistantly higher on my chronograph. The buffalo bore 180's that say they go 1350fps on the box seem to do around 1290fps.

• 2 weeks later...

Like Kyle said. I have the 20, 22, and 24# ISMI's for my G20sf, and the 24# runs fine, although I have shot little lower-powered ammo through it, it has always cycled fine. The 22# spring was throwing brass 16 feet. Howver, the gun is new, not loosened up, and the ammo is like Underwood or loaded to that level.