Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Air rifle for 8 yr old

As the resident "gun guy" in the family, I've been asked to pick an air rifle for a present for an 8 yr old boy who's apparently managed to wear out an iron sighted gun without damaging himself or others. His request is for a "BB gun with a scope", and their budget is $100-$200. Suggestions?

BB

No BB guns, a pellet gun is the way to go. If you want him to work a little to shoot "Sheridan Blue Streak"(mine is 40 years old and still going). A side cock or break barrel pellet gun, I've got a Gamo "Extreme Hunter" that will do 1575 fps chrono'd. Too heavy for an eight year old even without the scope. There are a host of 1000-1200 rifles that he should be able to handle.

Rich

ps If you buy a gun without a scope and then add one on, make sure it is a scope rated for an air rifle. Air rifles are very hard on scopes.

Edited by RIIID

No BB guns, no pellet guns for my kids. They both seemed to fall somewhere between a toy gun and a real one. Respect for safety and the neighbors outside cat both take a beating. If they want to shoot they need a "real" gun.

Depending on state(liberal or california) you should be thinking of a small 22. 8 yo is not too young to start in on a real gun. A cricket is a good small 22 and very inexpensive. A scope is very cheap. http://www.crickett.com/index.php?cPath=1&osCsid=3nui69tnh9l424jg200u4i57b7

'Seems to me a Crossman 760 pump rifle if he is strong enough to pump it..

I suggest this because it'll use .177cal Pellets or BB's (Single shot/ hand fed pellets or something like 50 internally held BB's)

, and depending on you, you can tell him it'll break and be in the trash quickly if he pumps it more than X # times..

(In a year or so take it and "Send it in for up-grade" and return it w/ a higher pump capacity..; It's limit is 10 pumps for max power,

and at that it will kill birds, and seriously injure or kill cats too, so do pay attention..! Lol..!

Daisy makes one as well, and I believe it is slightly stronger than the Crossman

but I know for certain that the Crossman will take a beating..

IMHO - The Sheridan 5mm's and Benjamin .22cal's are damned fine as well, but I think a bit more for a 10-11-ish Y.O..

Edited by gunfixer

As the resident "gun guy" in the family, I've been asked to pick an air rifle for a present for an 8 yr old boy who's apparently managed to wear out an iron sighted gun without damaging himself or others. His request is for a "BB gun with a scope", and their budget is $100-$200. Suggestions?

BB

Can't believe no one's gone there yet.

On the serious side -- I'd say it depends on the boy. If he's reasonably reliable (from an 8 year old standpoint) and it sounds like he is, a pump pellet with restriction on number of pumps. If he's not respectful of boundaries, a simple BB gun with a scope mounted.

Depending on state(liberal or california) you should be thinking of a small 22. 8 yo is not too young to start in on a real gun. A cricket is a good small 22 and very inexpensive. A scope is very cheap. http://www.crickett....424jg200u4i57b7

I'm not giving an 8 yr old a 22 unless I'm going to be the one shooting with him. While some kids that age are very responsible (one of them wears a Bean & Bean Cotton jersey and shoots open!), I think they need some hand holding until they get to the 10-12 yr old range. Besides, the young man in question lives in a small town with enough space to safely shoot BBs or pellets in the field behind his house, but he'd have to go out of town to shoot a .22.

BB

• 2 weeks later...

So... What'd yah DECIDE man..?!? Merry Christmas BTW..!!

I went with a Remington 77. We still need to cut the stock down to fit him, but he was shooting 2" groups from a pretty respectable distance with iron sights. We'll see how he does when we get the stock fitted. Either way, he had a blast and managed not to shoot his eye out.

BB

So... What'd yah DECIDE man..?!? Merry Christmas BTW..!!

I went with a Remington 77. We still need to cut the stock down to fit him, but he was shooting 2" groups from a pretty respectable distance with iron sights. We'll see how he does when we get the stock fitted. Either way, he had a blast and managed not to shoot his eye out.

BB

Not at all familiar w/ that one, but real glad it all worked out..! :cheers: