Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550B with Case Feeder difficultly at Station 1

Hello again,

I'm running a 550B that I've loaded on for a few years now with a Dillon Case Feeder.

No problems with 9mm or 45 as far as the case feeder goes.

I've just recently started loading 40S&W and am having a problem getting the cases to cleanly enter station 1.

The cases seem to bind right at the entrance to the shell plate. I have to back the handle up a bit and then continue with the stroke

to get the case to go into station 1 on the shell plate. It's pretty random as I'll get a few cases that will go in all the way and then

I'll get one or more that will hit the die on the way up as they are mostly outside of station 1.

I've cleaned the track for the case feeder and am pretty comfortable with it's adjustment. The cases that are binding appear to have

no defects in the rim area. They are once fired cases from a buddies 40, as well as range pickups. They all have problems getting into station 1.

I removed and cleaned the shell plate, the aluminum track from the case feeder, the area underneath the shell plate and have experimented with different amounts of

play in the shell plate from almost zero to pretty loose. Results are the same.

I'm using a #5 shell plate.

Take care,

Dave

Edited by Taildraggerdave

Mark your shell plate and see if it is consistently the same "station" on the shell plate. I got new .40 cal conversion a couple of months ago and one of the stations is tight and the case feeder will intermittently fail to "seat" a cartridge in that station. Tried cleaning it up with file but haven't had much success and just haven't gotten around to contact Dillon about a replacement.

Thanks for the speedy replies.

Jay, I did that as well. Marked the shell plate with paint dots and it happens to all 4 of the slots. Thing is, this is my old 9mm plate so it's had

a few thousand 9mm through it already. I might get 8 pieces to go through fine, then the next 5 will all be a problem. Random.

Dillon, yes they do slide through the locator easily, it's a W and I have the purple feeder sleeve.

Take care,

Dave

You didn't mention your pistol model.

Many OEM 40SW barrels in pistols, Glock for instance, have unsupported chambers. Thus, you end up with the infamous 40 bulge at the base.

Not only can this make feeding into the shell plate an issue, but, more importantly, if the bulge is not completely removed during resizing, you will have a significantly higher probability of encountering fail to feed (chamber) issues at the range.

You can either go with EGW modified Lee resizing die, which doesn't solve the shell plate problem, or, go with the Redding push through 40 die in a single stage press.

I installed the EGW modified die. I also very gently opened up each shell plate station with a file in order to accommodate bulging brass. No issues at all after making these changes.

Edited by Roadrider18

You didn't mention your pistol model.

Many OEM 40SW barrels in pistols, Glock for instance, have unsupported chambers. Thus, you end up with the infamous 40 bulge at the base.

Not only can this make feeding into the shell plate an issue, but, more importantly, if the bulge is not completely removed during resizing, you will have a significantly higher probability of encountering fail to feed (chamber) issues at the range.

You can either go with EGW modified Lee resizing die, which doesn't solve the shell plate problem, or, go with the Redding push through 40 die in a single stage press.

I installed the EGW modified die. I also very gently opened up each shell plate station with a file in order to accommodate bulging brass. No issues at all after making these changes.

Well, I was trying to avoid that...

The once fired is from a G22 but the range pickup, I have no idea.

I used the Lee Bulge Buster setup where you push the cases through the lower carbide ring in an FCD die.

I lubed the batch I was working on with One Shot, and pushed them all through the BB, then checked them in an EGW case gauge and they all dropped right in.

Again, I'll add that I can't visually see any defect in the case rim area.

Just reread your post and I may have to do something similar to what you did on the shell plate openings.

Also to Marc,

I've had the cases jam up even while doing ultra slow motion with my big head stuck in the press with a flashlight trying to see what is going on.

Again, thanks for all the replies.

Hopefully we can get this figured out.

Dave

Edited by Taildraggerdave

Dillon,

I pulled the shell plate off and the cases go in fine.

I put the shell plate back on and tried cycling some brand new factory ammunition (I took the tool head off) and the new rounds go right in.

I couldn't make one misfeed into station one. I grabbed some tumbled brass out of my bucket and it jammed on the third one....

Take care,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to give this a bump.

I was able to get a full hundred count run in and only had

a few jams on the whole run. I backed the through bolt for the shell plate

out a half turn from seated and it was ok. I had never ran the bolt that loose

before but it seemed to help. Also, for the cases that did hang up, I was able to slide

them in the shell plate while the ram was still up using a long allan wrench.

Still open to any ideas.

Take care,

Dave