Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Large hands, long fingers, inconsistent grip

GlockDoc

I'm a new USPSA shooter--and brand new to the forum--and have prior experience in the completely different world of smallbore and air rifle. I also have large hands with particularly long fingers. My old Anschutz/FWB rifles were pretty easy in that regard since they had huge grips and trigger reach was adjustable, but I'm having a fair amount of trouble managing my grip and trigger pull when shooting my G34. The Glock grip felt like the best choice for my large hands and overall feels pretty good in hand, but my problem now is that 1. I still don't have a good, consistent home for my support hand--I'm using the "thumbs forward" grip , and my issue is that when my fingers wrap around the grip there's not much bare grip left for my support (left) hand and my support hand thumb seems to have nowhere to land/sit.

I've gotten fairly familiar/comfortable with the trigger on the Glock (after installing the production-legal Fulcrum trigger/striker/springs), but my rapid fire/pairs are suffering due (I think) to my inconsistent grip. The muzzle flip on the G34 is very manageable, but inconsistent because of variation in my grip, so there have been a discouraging number of A-D pairs.

Recognizing that this is more a software problem, I'm hesitant to do anything major or permanent to the grip. I did install the Grip Force beavertail adapter, and that does help me get a nice high grip while increasing the trigger reach a bit, but are there any big-handed Glock shooters with some insight? This is proving a tough transition for me since I was used to giant grips and stupid-light triggers in my previous guns.

I also have long fingered hands, and have found that getting a good grip on certain guns take a little more practice than others, I am not a big fan of the regular sized glock frames for just the reason you listed my strong hand fingers cover almost the entire week hand side of the grip. but practice will bring consistency.

If you like BIG grips you could always get a Glock 20(10mm) or 21(45acp) they have the largest grips I know of, and I do love the way they fit my hand. I have a G20 with a aftermarket 40sw barrel that I shoot in Limited, (only legal in production division with a 10mm barrel)

that being said in reality I have found that how well a pistol fits me is a lot less important than how I drive it. when you talk about A-D pairs it makes me want to ask if you are seeing your sights for both shots, one sight picture for two shots is not enough for most target distances (my rule of thumb is if I needed to aim to hit the first A then I will need to aim to hit the second A)

a side note the grip force beavertail is not legal in production division(changes profile), so wile it is installed you can compeat in Limited, L 10, and Open.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. To answer your question--I'm seeing the sight, but it's rushed. I'm definitely not just having the gun recoil and fall back into position--I can get there, but it slows my pairs down considerably. I've had some draws where I get the perfect grip and I need to pay more attention when that happens so I can replicate it.

Thanks for the warning about the Grip Force adapter--I was all excited about taking it to my production match this weekend. You've saved me the jump to Limited. I mean, I'll get stomped either way, but I want to start out getting stomped in production. :)

Pete

I guess the bigest point I was trying to make is a good grip will make the gun recoil consistantly but that is only one component of making the shot. like brian says soot as fast as you can see. I have been trying to force myself to learn this for several years now. another thing to think about is split times are a very small portion of a total stage (the difference on a all paper 32rd 16 target stage between a .15 split and a .25 split is 1.6 seconds) most of a stage is moving trasitioning and reloading. I had a GM give me a hard time about the fast splits I was shooting at a local match a few years ago I think I ended up shooting about 50% of his score.

PS the bump for any equipment violation is to open.

Mike

1323206351[/url]' post='1587156']

I guess the bigest point I was trying to make is a good grip will make the gun recoil consistantly but that is only one component of making the shot. like brian says soot as fast as you can see. I have been trying to force myself to learn this for several years now. another thing to think about is split times are a very small portion of a total stage (the difference on a all paper 32rd 16 target stage between a .15 split and a .25 split is 1.6 seconds) most of a stage is moving trasitioning and reloading. I had a GM give me a hard time about the fast splits I was shooting at a local match a few years ago I think I ended up shooting about 50% of his score.

PS the bump for any equipment violation is to open.

Mike

Yeah, one of the more consistent themes is that the speed will come. At my first match, a non-sanctioned club match, I scored up there with the open and limited guys on some stages, just took twice as long to get there.

Interesting about the bump to open--- even more reason to stay honest. I don't want to go competing in limited (or open, for that matter) at a minor PF.

I guess if I've grown accustomed to tricked out guns I should be in open anyway, but there is much to be learned in production- it forces me off of Brownell's and onto the range.

Inconsistent grip will affect where the gun points naturally for you. It won't cause you to shoot "A-D pairs" - that's caused by shooting the (in)famous "doubletap", which consists of one sight picture, two trigger presses. You need to abandon that method of shooting entirely, and start calling every single shot... What you'll eventually realize is that having a poor or inconsistent grip on the gun will not affect your ability to shoot accurately - however, it will affect your ability to do so quickly, because (as bikerburgess correctly points out) the gun won't move consistently, and your recoil recovery will be slower on each shot. You noticed this when you saw that your splits slowed down when you started obtaining two sight pictures, as well...

FWIW - in terms of Production guns, you're just about on the biggest platform available as it is. I think there are some HKs that are bigger, and the G20/21 are larger, as well (but you'll need to reload for those in order to have manageable, competitive Production ammo). You could also look into a Gen 4 Glock, or M&P or XDm with the larger grip inserts - not sure if those will be large enough for you, either... I think you'd be better served by appropriate dry fire practice to get your grip consistent - you can generally get a consistent grip on anything with appropriate practice (though, in the end, if it doesn't fit closely enough, you'll probably have long term problems here in getting a consistent grip). Where you need to be concerned is with trigger pull length and where your finger ends up on the trigger - that's something you cannot affect on a Production gun, really, and the platform needs to fit you that way or accurate shooting will always be difficult.

Hope that helps! :)

XRe--thanks. You're absolutely correct that if I get two sight pictures I can easily shoot an A-A pair. Problem (in my mind) is that the gun isn't settling consistently after the recoil because my grip is all over the place--just like you said. I figured the 34 was probably the largest platform I could get short of the 21, so I'll just stick with what I've got and do what I REALLY need to do--spend lots of time at the range.

I too have very large hands with long fingers and have the same problem that you have described in terms of mere surface area to place my support hand. Eventually I just gave up trying to find a gun that fit my hand perfectly and instead just threw a grip sleeve on my XD and stuck with it. 10,000+ draws later, I don't even notice it anymore. One thing that really helped is some sort of grip enhancement produce. I just use weight lifting chalk and it works wonders for securing your grip, especially during very hot, humid days. I think it just comes down to sticking with something long enough to where it becomes second nature.

I say maybe try one of the rubber grip sleeves (production legal btw) and some chalk or pro-grip etc and some practice and your grip issues should fade the more practice/dryfire/matches you do.

I too have very large hands with long fingers and have the same problem that you have described in terms of mere surface area to place my support hand. Eventually I just gave up trying to find a gun that fit my hand perfectly and instead just threw a grip sleeve on my XD and stuck with it. 10,000+ draws later, I don't even notice it anymore. One thing that really helped is some sort of grip enhancement produce. I just use weight lifting chalk and it works wonders for securing your grip, especially during very hot, humid days. I think it just comes down to sticking with something long enough to where it becomes second nature.

I say maybe try one of the rubber grip sleeves (production legal btw) and some chalk or pro-grip etc and some practice and your grip issues should fade the more practice/dryfire/matches you do.

I think I'm at the exact same point. Either go bankrupt and knock myself out of production playing with grips, or just practice. A few hundred dry fires at home and 200 rounds at the range later I feel like I've made some progress. And strange as it may be I think my support thumb has managed to find a home along the bottom left edge of the trigger guard--just the product of my experimentation. Is it the best grip? Who knows, but it seems to be helping get my second sight picture a little sooner.

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far. :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Tape. Lots of duct tape followed by athletic or tennis tape. I'm in the minority here but it's my opinion that pretty much every firearm's grip is incorrectly made. Why? Because they're still being made for one hand. It's like playing golf with a 4" grip and doubling your hands over it, why choose to do so?

I thickened my grips with tape, filled in a wrongly-positioned bump (revolver) and swelled the grip on either side where the natural recess of my palm sits. I see no reason, when we already alter sights, trigger, springs, magwell, etc., that we shouldn't also alter the single biggest point of interface with the firearm to suit us.

Matt

Edited by Matt Griffin

I solved this problem using epoxy material, I cutted 2 pieces and placed them at the side of the grip,

after this I sqeezed the grip as I hold the gun.

A this time I changed my trigger with a long one

but I have a SVI infinity, standard division IPSC.

• 6 months later...

I second the grip sleeve. A double stack 1911 fits great for me if I add a little thickness to the whole shebang...

Now that I think about it, I have one laying around. I will send it to you if you want to try it.

Edited by dogtired