Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Joe's road to recovery after shoulder surgery

Joe L

Started dry fire with the P226 alloy gun at home, using the Laser Ammo device. Really helps identify poor trigger control, which is about all I can work on right now. Will try to get in 30 minutes/day this week. Will shoot again on Sunday morning.

Got the X-5 boxed up and ready to send to Gray Guns. Will shoot the alloy P226 with 40 slide and 9mm Bar-Sto conversion barrel while my heavy gun is being worked on. And the alloy P226-22. Maybe the 1911. Nah, too expensive.

Joe

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday morning 1-8-12, 9-11am, cloudy, 50F, calm.

WOW, what a morning! Left the 22 in the truck, left the X-5 boxed up to go to Gray, shot my favorite P226 9mm Bar-Sto and had a great day. I think the work with the laser in dry fire since Thursday has really paid off. I was not sure I could train myself to shoot the 4.4" barrel, light gun as well as my X-5, but I did. 18 out of 20 on the 7" plates at 25 yards. Several 5 shot groups in a row (after a rough start). At 15 yards, 3" groups, all weak hand only, standing. Still took about 20 rounds to "warm up", but that's OK.

Both eyes open is still working well for me. I must have wiped some of the chap stick off the left lens, because I did have a couple of times where I had to re-think lining up the sights with the right eye. Eventually, I hope to shoot without the chap stick.

I decided to go to the silhouette range and try the Desert Eagle 1911G, a full size 1911 with a trigger job by me (to more closely match my SIGs in single action mode). I shot pigs at 50 yards and rams at 100 yards. Shot 5 pigs in a row and was able to knock over three rams with 7 shots, again weak hand only, standing, with a gun that I don't shoot very often. To say I am happy is an understatement. I am ecstatic!

Right arm is feeling very good and I get the sling off this coming week. Not sure when I will be able to shoot strong hand, but I'm not worried at all about getting back to it. Will take my time and concentrate on re-hab. I have not lost a thing, and I've learned to shoot weak hand only better than most.

Joe

Wednesday noon 1-11-12 Midland

A short but excellent range trip. 100 rounds through the P226-9-Bar-Sto pistol at 10/15/25 yards, weak hand only, standing. 45F, very windy, clear, muddy from recent snow.

First time I've tried shooting slow groups in 20 mph gusty winds. Haven't shot since Sunday due to weather and work. Dry fire some each night, however, weak hand only. Seems to have been enough! Was able to get 5/5 on 6" plate in the wind from 25 yards. Was able to rapid fire 10/10 at 15 yards. First time I've tried rapid fire in a while. Was able to call most shots. All after the first 20 rounds a little rough, pushing gun to the right, but it cleared right up.

Good thing is that I was able to release the shot while the gun was moving. This was key to shooting in the wind. The only bad shots I had were the result of "forcing" the shot, of course. Once I stopped that, no problems.

I am getting very confident in my ability to shoot left handed.

I get the strong arm out of the sling on Thursday. Can't wait. Then re-train the right arm and trigger finger!

Joe

Surgery was 11-29-11 and I got the sling off the strong side arm on 1-12-12, 6 weeks later. So I shot weak hand only for 6 weeks. Totaled up live rounds today for the time my strong side arm was "unavailable"...

22LR 2700 rounds

9mm 1200 rounds

45 100 rounds

Total 4000 rounds

That is a LOT more than I thought I had shot, the first 4 weeks were primarily 22LR to train the left side, the last 2 weeks mainly 9mm as the strength returned to my LEFT arm from surgery last July. I guess I SHOULD be able to shoot 6" groups WHO from 25 yards with that round count! And my wife is very glad I got the 22 slide for the P226 to use during rehab. Hopefully will be shooting the 22 strong hand in a few weeks.

Joe

Sunday 1-15-12

This was a great session! With my right arm out of the sling, I was able to use it to brace the left, which I have been shooting weak hand only for 6 weeks. Then I went ahead and tried holding the light P226-9-Bar-Sto gun in my right hand and tried it at 15 yards, using the left for a brace in a semi-normal grip fashion. The right arm will not extend fully yet, so there were strange feelings as far as trigger control goes, with a little evidence of trigger push to the left in this photo.

i-K22MSTX-M.jpg

BUT, I shot right handed! And it doesn't look like it will be difficult to re-train my trigger finger!

Today, with the right arm available, I finally did some three 10" paper plate drills at 10 yards, 2 rounds per plate, "quickly". Tried weak hand only and left handed, but using right arm as brace. This worked well, but I'm rusty, to say the least. Really need to spend a lot of time doing this type drill as the range of motion and strength comes back to the right arm.

I can still shoot better left handed, especially now that I have the right arm to brace in a somewhat normal two-handed grip, but there is a chance I will be able to get back to normal right handed sooner rather than later.

200 9mm rounds today, 150 left handed, 50 right handed, then 50 rounds of 45 in the Desert Eagle 1911 at steel 50M and 100M, shot well, left handed, double grip.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

• 2 weeks later...

Friday 1-27-12, Just got home from vacation in Hawaii, no shooting while there. 11 days off. Went straight to the range by noon. Right arm has been out of a sling for two weeks now, feeling much better. Lots of range of motion therapy but no strength exercises yet. Decided to try to shoot "normally" today.

230 rounds P226-22 at 3 IDPA targets, 2 shots to each 0 ring at 10 yards, from standing position, arms at 45, no holster, no draw. Was able to do weak hand, strong hand, weak hand only, strong hand only. Transitions OK for the fat front sight on the 22. Then went to 15 and 25 yard slow groups, two hand, both weak and strong sides, shot fine. So far, so good. I am actually still shooting more accurately (smaller groups)left handed but not bad with the right hand at all. May have a little trigger push shooting right handed still. Almost there.

Moved on to the 9mm P226 Bar-Sto barrel pistol. Shot 130 rounds total, 48 doing the same drills with 3 targets x 2 shots/target drill as with the 22, followed by 15 and 25 yard 5 shot groups, then 33 yard slow from a rest. Shot equal number of rounds with each hand primary. Was able to get 39 rounds out of 40 on the 10" plate standing at 25 yards, 20 from left hand hold and 19 from right hand hold. I was very happy with that since it was gusty.

Overall, very happy with today's results with the 9mm.

On the way out, stopped to shoot 100 rounds through the 1911 at 100 meters to rams, 50 meters to pigs, 70 meters to turkeys. Was able to get a few more hits shooting left handed than right today, but right hand wasn't bad at all.

Both shoulders are very sore after this range session, even though I shot the "light" guns. 460 rounds total. Couldn't stop myself! This is fun. I bet I have my right hand trigger control back by Sunday or Monday. Need another few hundred rounds. I can shoot pretty well left handed compared to last year!

Joe

I've been following along and must say that I admire your tenacity. I love it when someone says they are not going to give up. Very inspiring.

Warpspeed, thanks for the note. I have learned so much from you guys that I have to put it to good use! I have an endurance cycling and marathoning background so I am tougher than most mentally. My age is starting to show, however, and I'm not so tough any more physically.

Joe

Results for Sunday 1-29-12

This was a great day for me. I put on the right hand holster and the magazine pouches for the first time and actually broke out my timer and tried some of the drills I had been doing before all this shoulder surgery stuff. I set up 3 IDPA practice targets at 10 yards, 2 yards apart and put 2 shots/target in the 0 ring from a timer induced draw from a holster, first time in months. First shot in 1.7 seconds, 5.0 seconds total for 6 good hits with 0 down. If I sped up much, I had too many misses, so I went back to basics and shot when I had a good enough sight picture. Repeated 15 times so 90 rounds total with the timer. Sight picture and trigger control are coming back! Right shoulder a little sore after 90 rounds, mainly from the draw effort I think, which is still difficult.

I need a lot of dry fire practice if I am going to compete in the club match in two weeks, which I am committed to doing. Went through the whole load and make ready, shooter ready, standby, buzzer, shoot, unload and show clear, slide down, hammer down, holster, routine just to get my head back in the game since I haven't shot a timed match since the classifier in October. This was good. I am confident now that I can compete in the club match.

Put the timer away and next tried a few series with the left hand only from 45 degree ready 3 target sequences and shot these very accurately and not too slowly. I will look forward to weak hand and weak hand only stages from now on!

Next, slow 5 shot groups at 15 and 25 yards, standing, two handed grip, both right and left handed. 7" plates. Surprise, surprise, put 20 out of 20 on the plate shooting left handed, and 19 out of 20 right handed! The right hand groups are still being pushed a little to the left, while the left hand groups are centered on the plate. This trigger push is significant at 25 yards, barely noticeable at 15, but there. Right trigger finger still needs therapy work (=shoot more), will do so with the 22 on Tuesday or Wednesday after dry fire with the laser Sunday and Monday evenings. I think I can eliminate the push with dry fire, since I didn't push before the surgery.

Total for the day 240 rounds through the 9mm Bar-Sto P226. Nothing from the 22 or the 1911.

An excellent day at the range for me. I can still actually draw and shoot the gun from a timer, only a few tenths slower than last Fall, with good accuracy. I can shoot very well left hand and left hand only, better than right as of today. Right hand shooting will improve with a little more trigger time. I'm getting there.

This is fun.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

Tuesday 1-31-12

Hour and a half at the range today, 300 rounds total, 150 for the 22 first, then a 100 with the P226-9mm Bar-Sto gun, then 50 with the Kahr CM-9 hand canon.

Split all shooting 50% right hand, 50% left hand, but none single hand. Shot the 22 at 15 and 25 yards, smaller groups right handed than Sunday but still not as good as with the left. Groups high and to the left 2" and 2" for both the 9 and 22. Shot the 22 and 9 with the left hand centered and 2" low.

One possibility is that the sight is a little fuzzy shooting right handed because I can't quite extend my right arm as far as the left due to motion restrictions. I don't think it is all trigger control. I can still shoot very well and very comfortable left handed. I suppose there could be some trigger finger re-training and some recoil control improvements needed also. I was surprised to see the difference in groupings right hand and left hand, but I never used to spend much range time shooting equal round counts with both hands so never made the comparisons before.

I shot the DAO Kahr CM9 exactly the same with either hand. This was another surprise. I only shot it out to 15 yards, however. 5" groups on a 10" plate. Little gun shoots great and has a wonderfully smooth trigger. I need to shoot 50 rounds through the PM40 some time this week also. Sights need a little file work, gun shoots lower than POA. Will take 0.010" off front sight.

Will return to drills including draws when my shoulder settles down a little. Overworked it on Sunday.

This is fun. Painful at times, but fun.

Summary since getting right arm out of sling, through January 31, 2012

I've shot over 1200 rounds total for four range sessions, split roughly 600 right hand, 600 left hand. I can still shoot more accurately left handed and I can still see the front sight more clearly when shooting left handed. With the same gun and sights, I am shooting slightly left 3" and slightly high 2" at 25 yards with the right hand, and I am shooting slightly low 1" and to the right 2" with the left. Right hand groups are getting smaller, however. Average if I combine the right and left hand groups is near dead center! Not going to adjust the sights, LOL. I would have thought I had the trigger finger re-trained with 600 rounds but maybe not. I just need to keep at it with no changes as my right arm range of motion improves and I can get the gun out farther so that the sight is clearer and recoil control is similar to what I had before surgery. That is my plan. For this week, at least.

IDPA club match in 9 days. I'll be ready, drawing and shooting with right hand, well, somewhat weak right hand. I can do it. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire, mag swap drills, draw drills.

Joe

Friday 2-3-12

Server problems at work so I skipped out for a quick visit to the range while our IT person fixed the firewall problems. Shot 120 round with the 22slide as a warm up from 10/15/25/33 yards, 10 shot groups, equal right and left handed. Shot briskly at 15 and 25 yards. 33 was from a sand bag rest under forearms. Windy. Cool. Good groups left handed, getting better right handed. Little 22 is a tack driver, at least in my left hand. Still need trigger time on the right hand. Here are the 22 groups

i-jJZG7BV-M.jpg

Only had time for 50 rounds with the 9mm P226 Bar-Sto gun. Here are the final 5 shot groups from the rest at 33 yards:

i-9gnhVxR-M.jpg

I am having some trouble seeing the sights right handed due to poor extension and focal point of dominant eye glasses lens, which requires full extension. I am still pleasantly surprised at how well I can shoot left handed. On Sunday, back to draw drills and timed 3 target sequences, mainly right handed. Can't wait.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

Sunday 2-5-12 Super Bowl Sunday

35F, windy, sunny then cloudy. Not many folks at the range this morning. Goal today was to get the 25 yard right hand groups smaller, at least as good as with my (normally) weak left hand, and to try some IDPA 3 target drills, no times, but with a timer, using cover.

Warmed up 60 rounds with the 22 at 25 yards, 30 rounds left hand, 30 rounds right hand, last series was able to get all shots on the 7" plate with either hand, so off to a good start.

Pulled out the 9mm Bar-Sto P226 and shot fresh targets at 25 yards. Left hand groups good, right hand, shooting high on average. Not paying attention to sights, and can't hold target as steady as with the left hand. After 15 good rounds with left hand, decided it was time to stick with shooting with the right hand or I would never get back to where I need to be. After 35 rounds, I had it down! Was able to get last 10 rounds all on the 7" plate, standing, 25 yards, Remington UMC ammo. Here is the plate.

i-TrPg33m-M.jpg

Finally, all 10 shots at least touching the plate 9 days after starting right hand shooting again and 24 days after getting the arm out of the sling. I still can't extend it as far as the left arm, but I'm getting there.

Next, slow three target drills, 1 yard apart, at 15 yards, IDPA practice targets, full size. Start from a draw, two rounds in 0 ring in each target, 6 rounds total per string. Shot 16 strings at 15 yards, half left to right, half right to left. Very few rounds out of the 0 ring, accuracy was very good. I was taking my time, looked like 6 seconds from buzzer to last shot, 2 sec draw from cover. I didn't rush any shots. Need to work on reducing the splits and moving eyes to next target faster and letting the gun follow. This was really good--start with the timer, but don't watch or worry about the time, just hitting 0's. I'm still not strong enough to move the gun very quickly anyway, so it is good to work on accuracy and on getting a proper sight picture. Haven't done much of this in the last few months.

Finished off with a few rounds off the rest at 33 yards with the 9mm. Not good. I can shoot more accurately standing than I can from the forearm rest. Probably vision and recoil control. I was grouping shots higher from the rest than from standing. Not sure why, not the same as with the 22, that's for sure.

Total of 170 rounds with the 9 today. 230 total including the 22 warmup.

Next, I decided to go try the .45 1911 on the silhouette range next. Shot all right hand again, just to force re-training of right hand, even though I knew I could shoot better left handed. Shot pigs at 50M and rams at 100M. Only hit on about 30% of the shots. Still need some right hand trigger control re-training work! But, any trigger time with the Desert Eagle Government size 1911 is good. I love shooting that thing, 4 lb trigger (intentional, my choice) and all. Today 100 rounds of .45 ACP, usually limit myself to 50 rounds, but just like shooting the gun.

Overall, good progress today, really good.

This is fun.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

Tuesday 2-7-12 50F,

Very windy out of the north, but we went anyway. Gary went with me, mainly for me to adjust his sights and help him with DA/SA trigger control compared to his 1911. This was not a "training" session, really. But I tried not to learn any bad habits. I shot 130 rounds through the P226 9mm and 100 through my 1911, 7 yards to 33 from a rest, mostly right handed but maybe 40 rounds left handed with the 9mm.

Learned two things: 1) right hand is progressing nicely 2) the trigger job I did on the 1911 is not right. Too much creep.

Took the 1911 apart when I got home and the secondary angle on the sear was tapered (by me, poor vision) so the primary was wide on one side. I corrected this with some stoning and the trigger feels great now. Can't wait to shoot it again. Will have to be more observant next time I do a trigger job on my own gun!

I guess another good thing is that I am developing a sense of how a trigger should feel in order for me to shoot it well. Being new to this sport, I would say this "casual" day was a good thing--I was able to pay attention to the details of how a gun I don't shoot very often actually operated. "Observe and think while practicing."

And, my friend is much happier with his DA/SA SIG after a 150 rounds with a little advice and encouragement plus filing on his front sight. He also got to see me shoot his gun very well, so he concluded what I already knew--the problem was the shooter's trigger time, not the gun.

This is fun.

Joe

Thursday 2-9-12

50 rounds with the 1911 to check out the corrected sear, worked great, 50 rounds with the P226 to work in the right hand trigger control. I'm getting there...(I also adjusted the sights two clicks right, two clicks down to get POA=POI at 15 yards compared to earlier this week, now that I know I'm not pushing the gun to the left with the "green" right trigger finger.)

i-99jVVPP-M.jpg

Here's the 1911, not great, but not much trigger time on this gun.

i-87KGGBD-L.jpg

Here is the best with the 9mm of the 5 shot groups.

i-Vx4R3g6-M.jpg

Joe

Edited by Joe L

Friday 2-10-12

Another short, but good day at the range. 120 rounds of 22 to warm up, then 100 of 9mm at 3 IDPA targets after 50 slow groups, for a total of 270 rounds for the short lunch break session. Weather tomorrow expected to be cold and wet.

Accuracy with right hand is finally consistently on a par with the left hand. 1-1/2" groups standing at 15 yards now right handed.

i-crv8JDJ-L.jpg

Rehab nearly done as far as the trigger finger goes. Draws and reloads are a separate issue! Need a LOT more strength in the right arm before I can expect to do well in a match.

This is fun...and somewhat expensive.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

2-12-12 Sunday Morning

Cold, drizzle, very light snow, upper 20's temp, not especially pleasant at the range, other than no one else was there!

First, 50 rounds through the 1911 after I modified he sear spring for a 3lb-1oz pull instead of the 4lb-0oz I have been shooting with. Shooting with gloves and being very stiff, I didn't shoot the gun well at all. 6" groups at 25 yards standing, either hand was all I could do. I put it up after 50 rounds, to try on another day.

Next 150 rounds through the P226-9-Bar-Sto gun shooting at 25 yards, standing, mostly right hand, maybe 20 rounds left handed, all at 7" plates on light newsprint. It took 30 rounds to settle down and start grouping the shots. Then one click down on the rear sight. Then my hands got cold. Then my legs got cold. Then...this...

i-FdTGQvN-M.jpg

I think that is the best group I've ever shot at 25 yards, even before surgery. I tried several times to duplicate it and couldn't, not even close. 4" groups were the average, this one was the exception. All I can say is that I did everything right 5 times in a row. Once. When I can do it 5 plates in a row at less than 2" groups, I will be content, but I still have some work to do!

I really have to be careful shooting left handed. No surface feeling on the trigger finger results in lack of feel for the initial trigger pull, resulting in the need to recalibrate the trigger motion to account for the movement not felt. Very different from the right hand and another reason why I need a little wider sear primary width than some people.

I still can't believe I got even one sub-2" group at 25 yards standing with a service pistol, especially since I only have a few weeks training with the right arm since getting out of the sling. I am one happy 9mm camper.

Now...this is fun.

Joe

Wednesday 2-15-12

Short time at the range today. 130 rounds of 22LR at 33 and 25 yards rt and lt handed, then 100 rounds of 9mm at 8 plate array at 15 and 25 yards. A little rough, distracted by work schedule requiring a trip tomorrow. Also received but did not shoot Atlanta Arms 147 gr 130 power factor reloads to try out. May be next week before I can shoot any.

Good to shoot the 9 at tempo at least. Accuracy was good. Speed not so much.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

From 2-15-12 through Saturday 2-25-12

Not much progress, shooting. A couple of relaxed range trips with friends to try out some guns I had worked on, then a trip to the mountains. Work schedule is hectic. Shot not so good on Friday and terrible on Saturday morning. Couldn't shoot a 4" group at 20 yards. I think it is medication, even in small doses, of tramadol. Will quit taking it before shooting and see what happens.

Joe

Shot early this morning Sunday 2-26-12 without any tramadol, was a little better, got all the shots on a 7" plate at 25 yards with both the 22 and the 9mm after 20 rounds of warmup, but could only shoot one good group of 2-1/2" with the 9. My shoulders are both stiff and sore from physical therapy and I think this is really the problem, not the 25mg of tramadol that I usually take about this time of day. I'm going to see if my usual accuracy returns when I am able to go to an afternoon session at the range without taking any tramadol 4 hours prior. Very difficult to identify the cause of this poor shooting. I know I have to force full arm extension and it hurts to do so, so maybe the tension affects steadiness and trigger control?

Joe

Tuesday 2-29-12

Went to the range with a friend to shoot the 1911 I did the trigger job on last week. 20-35 mph crosswind gusts, 70F, sunny. 8 hours after taking 25mg tramadol. Shot fine this afternoon. Very good groups with unfamiliar guns, excellent with the P226-9-Bar-Sto gun. I couldn't believe I could shoot that well in a gusty crosswind, which is the worst conditions ever for standing position.

From now on, no more than 25mg tramadol at least 4 hours before shooting. Will try that for a while. Never 50 mg an hour before shooting, that is simply too much for me.

I'll shoot 25 yard groups with the P226 later this week and confirm for me, not scientifically, that the medication dosage and timing has been having an effect with as little as 25mg variation.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

Thursday 3-1-12 5pm-6pm, very windy/gusty to 35 mph crosswind at range

100 rounds of 22 followed by 50 rounds of Rem UMC 9mm. All shot at 33 yards from a rest and 25 yards standing, split evenly left hand and right hand. Only 25mg tramadol at 2pm.

Another very good day, good control both hands even in the wind. All shots on 8" plates at 25 and 33 yards, 4" groups right hand both guns, repeatable, after 30 warmup rounds with the 22. Very happy with results on this short day. Still shooting very well weak hand.

Joe

Sunday 3-4-12 Range Day with Friends, 70F, calm, clear, beautiful Sunday morning,

8:30-10:30 am, 25mg tramadol at 5:30am

Today was one of those days when I could shoot anything pretty well. Started out with the P226 22, 80 rounds at 25 yards standing, right and left handed, all shots on 8" plates, very happy with that start. Then 30 round with the PM40 hand cannon at 10 and 25 yards, again, no problems, even got 4 of 5 on 8" plate at 25 yards with the 3" barrel gun.

P226-9-Bar-Sto 4" groups at 25 yards, both hands. Then got out my new stock CZ75B with the terrible stock trigger and proceeded to shoot 5" groups at 25 yards with it, both hands, darn near as good as with my tuned P226. When I get a good trigger setup on this gun, it will be awesome, maybe as good as my X-5, not sure yet.

Seems pretty clear to me that backing off the tramadol to less than 25 mg 4 hours before shooting is going to be a good guideline when I need to shoot accurately, which is all the time. I am very happy with that knowledge and very happy with the progress I've made in February in getting my right hand shooting back up to where it was before I hurt it and had the surgery. Left arm is doing well also.

Joe