Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

870 Barrels?

D.Hayden

Just to get started in 3Gun, I'm going to try using a 870 pump. For those who know Remmingtons, will any 870 barrel fit any 870, or are Express different than Wingmasters, etc?

Thanks, Dave

Also, any suggestions on the type of barrel would be quite welcome... 20", sights, choke? Do I need a special barrel for slugs... Obviously very new at this...

OKay......as long as you have the standard magazine tube (hold's 4 2 3/4" rounds).....any 870 12 gauge barrel will fit.....except any barrels made for the "special field" and maybe one or 2 other rarer models

The special field only holds 3 rounds in the tube, thus the barrel lug is farther back.

There may be some models like a marine style that holds more than 4 rounds in the tube without an extension.....and those barrels would not fit either as the barrel lug would be out farther.

That being said.....even if you have an express magnum (3.5".....you can still fit the 2 3/4" chambered barrels on the receiver.....and in reverse.....if you have a 2 3/4" receiver, you can put a 3.5" chambered barrel on that as well......in both cases, you would only be able to use the 2 3/4" shells.

The good news is you will probably never see a barrel made for the longer tubes.....the bad news is that there are some barrels out there for the special field and you really need to look to make sure.

As for a tactical barrel.......21" RS slug barrel that takes choke tubes would be a good choice IMHO. Then go with a modified choke or skeet choke tube.....I like the extended knurled tubes, personally.

Tim