Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD40 grip help

stre-tch

I have had a XD40 for about 8 years now. I probably have only put 50-100 rounds through the pistol because it just doesn’t fit my hand correctly.

I don’t really want to sell the pistol but I would like to get it to fit my hand so I would enjoy shooting it.

The biggest problem I have is the grip and grip safety – I have fairly large hands L-XL depending upon the gloves but one main problem I have is the web of the hand in-between my thumb and index finger. I have a lot of space and if I am not careful I don’t fully depress the grip safety on the pistol – I see grip reduction services offered by many gunsmiths but is there a grip enhancer and larger grip safety so it will fit my hand. To give you an idea of the perfect shape the large grips on the M&P or the HK 30 fit much better.

Is there a gunsmith that could fix this problem as well as do a trigger job, install new sights, and possibly put on a reflex sight?

Thanks

The biggest problem I have is the grip and grip safety – I have fairly large hands L-XL depending upon the gloves but one main problem I have is the web of the hand in-between my thumb and index finger. I have a lot of space and if I am not careful I don’t fully depress the grip safety on the pistol

Is there a gunsmith that could fix this problem as well as do a trigger job, install new sights, and possibly put on a reflex sight?

Thanks

I see three questions there and the first one is best answered with a Question and then a suggestion.

1) Depressing the grip safety:

Question: How are you gripping the pistol?

I ask this because I am 6'3" with large hands and I have never had an issue depressing the grip safety IF it is being gripped correctly with a high grip. I also usually use my XD .40 when teaching people to grip a firearm correctly precisely because it has a grip safety and it *forces* them to get a good high grip or else it will not go off. If you are using a good high "thumbs forward" grip, you should not have any issues activating the grip safety. http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/tactics_training_combatg_100306/

2) Size of grip:

There are a couple suggestions here and the one I use is to put the silicone "3M Stair tape" around the front and sides of the grip, like you see in my profile picture. It works well, builds up the grip a bit, and does not have the issue that skateboard tape does where it sheds Grit and wears out. I have had the same strip of tape on mine for over 2 years now and it is still going strong.

3) Gunsmithing work:

Yep, Springer precision or Powder River would be the two that most people would recommend to work on an XD if you did not want to do it yourself.

I also have large hands so I know what you are referring to. Springer Precision and a few others I think sell a grip safety that has a larger bump at the bottom that helps to further engage the safety and makes it a non issue. I have one installed on all my XD's and XDm's just for the confidence factor of never having to worry about the grip safety.

Edited by xdnok

I also have large hands so I know what you are referring to. Springer Precision and a few others I think sell a grip safety that has a larger bump at the bottom that helps to further engage the safety and makes it a non issue. I have one installed on all my XD's and XDm's just for the confidence factor of never having to worry about the grip safety.

Thanks I will have to look for that also