Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Giving an old M&P 9 Pro new life?

WildWillie

Hey guys, I had a question, not sure if any of you have experience messing with the fit on a M&P. I have a few M&Ps (2 Pros and a standard fullsize), with the 9 Pro I used throughout the year having about 12k-14k rds through it. Mid-season I put KKM barrels in both the Pro 9 and Pro 40, which really improved accuracy with certain loads. Some loads shot ok out of the factory barrels, but as I approached 10k rounds through the guns, most factory loads seemed to really be spreading out. One fix before the new barrels was to use MG's .356 130gr bullet in the 9mm. The bullets actually measured .355 to just under .356, and proved to be very accurate. On some factory loads, pulled bullets measured .354, and shot horribly out of the stock barrel. Anyway, the KKM shoots everything well.

Ok, back to my question...slide to frame fit. I know the guns are not tight to begin with, but my Pro 9 with the high round count is getting very, very loose. It still shoots well, but you can actually see where the frame rails are getting rounded and significantly worn down. Anyone have any suggestions to give this gun new life? I thought about ordering a new sear block and locking block, hoping the new parts closed the gaps up a little, but I imagine the slide rails probably are pretty worn too. Anyone know a smith that has a method to tighten these guns up? I have also been reading up on the new Bar-Sto/ Apex barrel and locking block, but I don't want to buy another barrel, I am happy with the KKM. I appreciate any suggestions, thanks guys!

Edited by Rademacher

I read recently that Apex is working on a new, wider sear housing block and bar stock trigger bar.

I imagine your best bet aside from custom smithing would be to install the Apex locking block and sear housing block, or to send it off to Smith if it has accuracy issues.

I was having the same issue and took my frame rails out and tig welded them back up and the filed them down for a real snug fit. My slide hadn't even worn off the melonite coating suprisingly. This cut my groupings in half at 20yd. I am very pleased. I will be sending the slide, sear, and frame rails in to Springer Precision to have them IonBond coated. Hopefully that will stop or at least slow further wear to these parts. If not, I will just weld up again.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for the replys. Since the accuracy hasn't diminished too much, I probably won't go through the extent of welding, filing, etc. Next season I will most likely get another M&P, and use my current one as a back-up anyway. If Apex comes out with those parts, and the price isn't too out of line, I may have to give them a try.

• 1 month later...

I was curious where you added material. I have very little vertical play in the slide but much more horizontal. I am thinking you just hit it a few times with the tig to make the slide not fit , kind of like shot peening a rail on a 1911 and then filing to fit?

Edited by 9X23Guy

• 9 months later...

I read recently that Apex is working on a new, wider sear housing block and bar stock trigger bar.

Yes, Apex says many things but so far, I have not seen anything released to the market that fixes the accuracy issue with M&P9 yet.

I am still waiting..

9x23guy:

No sry I don't have any pics. But you are correct on the process. I had both horizontal and vertical play after about 15k thru it. So i just added extra to the top and side surfaces and filed to fit. The original frame metal seems pretty soft. The new weld surface is holding up much better. And still no wear what so ever on the slide. Hasn't even wore off the melonite yet after about 25k thru it.

Nate