Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

44 magnum cylinder?

kmca

Are the cylinders the same as far as cartridge spacing on S&W 29/629, Dan Wesson 44, Ruger Redhawk/Super Redhawk and Taraus 44 the same? I'm looking for a cylinder to use as a moonclip checker.

Since I'm asking, does anyone know where I could get one, without paying too much :)

I doubt if the spacing is the same across brands, although I don't know for sure. Some things you might think about: 1. Take the cylinder off the gun to check a bunch of loaded moonclips, then reinstall. 2. Find a cylinder at a gun show or a gunsmith junk box. 3. Have a round piece of steel or alum. drilled with holes that match your cylinder.

I doubt if the spacing is the same across brands, although I don't know for sure. Some things you might think about: 1. Take the cylinder off the gun to check a bunch of loaded moonclips, then reinstall. 2. Find a cylinder at a gun show or a gunsmith junk box. 3. Have a round piece of steel or alum. drilled with holes that match your cylinder.

Thanks. 2. I hate the gun shows in my area, they're nothing but expensive places to buy beef jerky (don't take that wrong, I love beef jerky). I'm not quite sure how to find a gunsmith with one in his junk box. 3. I'm guessing having a "cylinder" machined would probably cost me more than buying a new one. I was hoping, since Safariland lists the same speedloader for all the mentioned revolvers, they would have the same spacing. A cylinder for a Taraus is about 1/3 the cost of one from S&W.

Speedloaders can work for cylinders that vary slightly in hole spacing. If you have a Smith, all you have to do to remove the cylinder is take out the front sideplate screw. Then the crane slides out the front and the cylinder is free. It takes about 30 seconds.

Speedloaders can work for cylinders that vary slightly in hole spacing. If you have a Smith, all you have to do to remove the cylinder is take out the front sideplate screw. Then the crane slides out the front and the cylinder is free. It takes about 30 seconds.

As a side-benefit, you can clean the heck out of the cylinder with it out of the gun!! :cheers: