Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Surplus Military powder?

Canman

I've been real happy with my Win 748 equivalent powder from Hi Tech ammo. The load I use for 3 gun and out to 500 yards for field matches will shoot 0.25 MOA all day in a clean or dirty gun. I ended up buying 36 pounds of it after I got a chance to work up a load and saw what it would to with the 75 gr Hornady bullets I use. But yes use caution when working up your loads. I initially used data for BC-L2 and blew out primers on my higher loads... Then I realized that the guy selling it didn't really know where it fell into the burn chart so he listed two separate powders that it MIGHT be equivalent to... Turns out its much more like Win 748.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

You guys that have used surplus a bunch... Do you find that the powder will vary jug to jug even if it's bought all at the same time? I have 36 pounds of this powder and it's all from the same lot according to the sticker on the jugs. I'm just wondering if I should throw it all into a 5 gal bucket and mix it up before I load anymore to get the most consistent results. I'm loading it pretty light so I'm not worried about a big jump in pressure, I just don't want my POI to have a big shift between batches.

You guys that have used surplus a bunch... Do you find that the powder will vary jug to jug even if it's bought all at the same time? I have 36 pounds of this powder and it's all from the same lot according to the sticker on the jugs. I'm just wondering if I should throw it all into a 5 gal bucket and mix it up before I load anymore to get the most consistent results. I'm loading it pretty light so I'm not worried about a big jump in pressure, I just don't want my POI to have a big shift between batches.

Heads up - that means nothing at all. Just like another poster said, I've hit maximum safe pressures with the starting load...

For my application - I don't use it past 150 feet. If I have to shoot further than that, I'm at a major match and I'm shooting some of the best components over commercial powder (no sense in paying to show up and shoot milsurp).

Having worked with DRMOing small arms components, all it takes is a lazy government worker or contractor with the wrong lot on a label to **** up your day.

I'd mix all of them safely (ESD) and work up.

Edited by DyNo!

Heads up - that means nothing at all. Just like another poster said, I've hit maximum safe pressures with the starting load...

For my application - I don't use it past 150 feet. If I have to shoot further than that, I'm at a major match and I'm shooting some of the best components over commercial powder (no sense in paying to show up and shoot milsurp).

Having worked with DRMOing small arms components, all it takes is a lazy government worker or contractor with the wrong lot on a label to **** up your day.

I'd mix all of them safely (ESD) and work up.

So is there a threat of EDS when pouring out large amounts of powder? How is that resolved? Like gas? Keep the containers in contact and keep the larger container on the floor?

• 2 weeks later...