Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old vs New Powder Measure Test Results

So a recent thread got me thinking about accuracy between the old spring style powder measure and the new "clunky" style powder measurer. So I decided to do a little testing on my own.

Here are the rules of my test.

1) Powder = BL-C2

2) Full hopper

3) 25 Test shots before starting recording weights

4) 2- Seconds pause on the down stroke - I found sometimes I stroked to fast and caused errors - something to think about when cranking out ammo.

5) checked my scale tare weight after each recording - wanted to make sure it returned to zero.

My scale is a min pro-100 with 0.05gn resolution

I did a total of 30 shots each way.

Test 1 - Old Spring Style Desired Weight = 26.40gn Actual 30 Shot Average 26.395gns .005 error

Test 2 - New Style Desired Weight = 26.40gn Actual 30 Shot Average 26.393gns .007error

It would be interesting to throw the max charges and min charge weights to see what happens.

Edited by ScottyPotty

Be nice to have more information about the charge bar, is it a small opened wide or a large set small? I asking because I want to use 25.5 of H335 and there is not a lot of room for error.

Its the large charge bar - I didnt think you could open the small up that large.

I haven't found the newer style powder measures to be clunky, I've got 5 or 6 Dillon powder measures, they represent 3 different generations of Dillon powder measures, starting with my original which dates to 1985, before they ever came out with the safety rod.

When I first got the current style powder measure I did find it clunky, now none of my powder measures are the least bit clunky, I'm not sure if its just that I learned to adjust them better, or that they broke in, but none of them are clunky at all.

Be nice to have more information about the charge bar, is it a small opened wide or a large set small? I asking because I want to use 25.5 of H335 and there is not a lot of room for error.

Its the large charge bar - I didnt think you could open the small up that large.

You're right, I found a link to the right FAQ that lists the different capacities. I was confused because I have 2 small bars and 1 is square and the other is triangular. Discovered I was using the large bar when I dug out the .223 tool head.

...snip...

When I first got the current style powder measure I did find it clunky, now none of my powder measures are the least bit clunky, I'm not sure if its just that I learned to adjust them better, or that they broke in, but none of them are clunky at all.

So was mine until I buffed the back of the safety lever, now it stops momentarily before being pulled down by the fail safe rod. But then I am still running 1 return spring. OCD

Let's see the data. What's the min, max and standard deviation for each group? Average doesn't tell you much.

Old Style with Spring:

Measured 26.40 = 25 times

26.35 = 4 times

26.45 = 1 time

New Style W/O Spring

Measured 26.40 = 23 times

26.35 = 6 times

26.50 = 1 time

• 1 year later...

2 springs without the rod for me. I could never determine that the "new" set-up provided me with superior measurement accuracy with either pistol or rifle loads or with different size powder bars or different powders.

This test came from people stating that the rod would provide more accurate drops due to the clunk settling the powder each throw of the handle. The rod is nothing more than a double drop safety that gets in the way.

Edited by ScottyPotty