Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making uspsa mainstream

thebigdogg316

So tell me again the reason USPSA NEEDS to become mainstream? Many of you WANT us to be mainstream, but do we NEED to be?

I don't really care if the sport goes mainstream in terms of participation. However, it would be nice if it would go mainstream in terms of awareness.

I see USPSA the same way I see Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. They're both massive blows to the ego in the beginning stages. They cost more to pursue than other options. They're both scientific in the way they measure progress. They both require more work and dedication than most people are willing to commit.

However, unlike someone with a certificate from XYZ tactical school, and unlike someone with a blackbelt from the stripmall Tae Kwon Do school, a USPSA GM and a BJJ black belt are both undeniably legit.

However, whereas BJJ is going mainstream, USPSA is not. The benefits for BJJ instructors, competition organizers, governing bodies, et al are undeniable. There are downsides of course (a watering down of quality of instruction, some instructors who are outright frauds, to name a couple), just as there would be downsides to USPSA "blowing up." The question is, do the downsides outweigh the potential for more sponsorship money, more funds to run the governing body, more funds supporting matches, and so on?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of conjectures and inputs can be, and have been, shared here -- I know I have a few, but will refrain from doing so. Here are my two questions...

1. Do the executive leadership and the BOD of USPSA have enough managerial capability to at least explore the various elements mentioned in this thread?

2. Do they want to?

How about making the first year of membership to USPSA free? I considered not renewing my membership before I started shooting out of town matches. I am sure that the large majority of our members, even our active members, do not shoot anything other than a monthly club match. They don't have a lot of incentive to be members. Maybe if they became members and experienced Level 2 and above matches they would be as hooked as some of us are.

Maybe. I'm not sure the organization benefits from free membership -- and there are costs to service the member.....

My point is that once they experience membership they might be more inclined to renew a membership that they have where they might not be inclined to make that original membership payment. I have found other benefits that are hardly mentioned. The best benefit of USPSA membership is recognition as a shooter when I travel with work and attend local club matches. It definitely makes being away from home much easier. Fortunately, few folks have to travel to make a living.

I get that -- I'm not sure I agree that something initially perceived as free, will ever be perceived as valuable enough for people to pay for it....

In the early days of the internet, most newspapers gave away their content on the 'net. Then, when print sales shrank, and they tried to monetize the electronic delivery, almost all papers had tremendous difficulty trying to convince people to pay for something that used to be free.....

Having the section clubs subsidize membership with a free match, so instead of ~$ 60, it's $40, is a better plan, in my opinion....

If you shoot eight matches a year in my section, you've paid for the membership in reduced entry fees. Shoot more than eight, and you could start saving those fivers toward a life membership....