Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After a long break

Steve Moneypenny

After shooting often and pressuring myself to get a gm card, win matches etc for a few years. I delved into some other things.... bought a sporty car, ( 2000 trans am) raced it a little, sat in parking lots BS'ing, worked on car, changed jobs, got another job, then another, and worked a lot.. bought more cars... started racing more... :) I love my cars, but no way I'll ever even hope or care to compete at a national and world level with them.

in 2010 I shot IPSC nationals. I dryfired a bit, didn't bring a lot of hope into the match, I shot my game. and ended up 5th. after some bad luck by others, etc. My techinque hadn't failed much.

for 2011 i was niticibly less of a shooter. in worse shape ( got fatter) on my first stage, the staff was just not with it at all... sorry, but it's true, they didn't do equipment checks, the RO called me to the line. i'm standing there with no ammo.... i ask the other guy. "what about equipment checks" he looked at me like i was stupid.... it annoys me that international RO's don't know their sport better than I do. Then my entire time of loading and makign ready he's screwing with the timer... and one "beeep" distracted my mental plan enough to skip the target i would have been shooting at the exact time of that beep. ... shit there went 65-70 match points...

I pretended like it didn't happen and went on with my match. Kept my mental game where it should have been for years. so wihle my physical game has degraded. my mental game has greatly improved.whether it's from racing. fighting or what. or maybe lack of expectations from myself. I finished up 9th... ( would have been 5th -7th without the not so friendly guy with the buzzer. )

During the match i watched a few things... on one stage it was a very short course. 2 steel 1 static paper and 2 drop outs. activated by the steel. I watched some of the less experienced shooters on our squad spent the entire walk through time bickering which way was fastest to shoot it. I smiled and said to the 3of them, "do what feels good to YOU" because the time doesn't matter it was seriously a don't lose the match stage. no ground to be gained.

Looking back i saw myself years ago standing there with jake kyle, steve a. and kyle probably arguing the same thing. after racing picking lines etc. sometimes there is more than one way to get to the finish line. Do what you are most comfortable with and let the scores fall where they may!

Just some things a rusty fat shooter learned at a match!