Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire I think I broke my gun!

Boriqua

Finished doing a S/A to D/A S/A conversion on my Witness Match. dry fired about 50 times with a snap cap and no problem. Trigger was gritty so I took off the slide and added a little oil to the interrupter. Put it back together and dryfired once and the trigger block fell off. I racked the gun open and put on the slide lock and there was my firing pin sticking out of the breach face about an inch and jammed in the hole. I was able to force it out but now it wont go back in! Help!!

Alex

Something is definitely wrong with your firing pin spring, for the firing pin to be stuck sticking out of the breach face. Did you take coils off the firing pin spring? Anyway, I recommend replacing it.

Watch Henning's video about how to take the upper apart. Although his video doesn't show an upper with a firing pin block, it should be pretty obvious how things go together into the slide. While you have the firing pin out, clean out the firing pin channel. Make sure there is no oil, grease, or debris in the channel.

I turn the firing pin backward and tried to push in the firing pin and it would get stuck. Just tried sliding it in and out with no spring. It was getting stuck in the firing pin cavity. It was so rough it was sticking. Now I fired about 100 rds through the gun before the change but who knows. Anyway I broke out some 320 wet dry paper and sanded it .. not the spike part that actually makes contact with the primer. I especially sanded where I could see the wear marks on the pin. Then I put some rouge on a dremel and polished it out. While I know you are not supposed to I went ahead and put an ever so small amount of white lithium and put it all back together. Pin now slides freely in the cavity with no felling of burs. Fired 4 rounds and dry fired with a snap cap in it and it seems that fixed it. Wont know until I get out to the range and put another hundred rounds through it but at least for now it works.

alex

Firing pin was in correctly but the firing pin and the firing pin channels were rough as hell. A little clean up on the firing wide part of the firing pin that actually makes contact with the firing pin channel with some 320 and then rouge on a dremel and it slide in and out nicely. Before it was scratchy as hell. I put everything back together and have dry fired with a snap cap more than 500 times this weekend. Monday I go out and shoot so lets see.

Alex

HELP !!

I have put up some pix to see if anyone can see something I'm not. I just recently changed my gun from single action to double action. Took it out the first day no problem. Second day I dry fired for the first time ever with out a snap cap. Now here is what is happening.

When I drop the hammer the firing pin goes forward and sticks out beyond the breach face a good 1/4 inch or more. Its STUCK! The back end has pushed itself past the firing pin block and gets lodged and the firing pin block just drops to the floor.

I put the firing pin in with the flat side facing left when you look at it from the top.

I thought it was possibly a bent firing pin and spent about 50 bucks for a new firing pin and spring. I am so frustrated its killing me. I just want to get it working. What might cause this. It seems like the main spring is causing the hammer to fall with more force than it did and is driving the pin further than it should. Wild Theory's welcome

http://members.cox.net/alex247/Firing%20pin.jpg

http://members.cox.net/alex247/pin%20rear.jpg

http://members.cox.net/alex247/pin2.jpg

http://members.cox.net/alex247/match.jpg

Thank you

Alex

Edited by Boriqua