Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI 170mm mags

RippSpeed

can the newer design SVI Mags be modified soo it'll work on the STI mag release ??? Reason I ask is this is the only manufacturer to my knowledge that makes 170mm mags in 45acp...

Building a SHTF 45acp pistol...

Edited by RippSpeed

Good question.

IIRC the newer SVI mags in 9/38 and 40 don't fit in STI grips without being heavily worked on.

They may have a few of the older 45 tubes available since the 45 in the 170mm length is as popular as the other calibers.

Good question.

IIRC the newer SVI mags in 9/38 and 40 don't fit in STI grips without being heavily worked on.

They may have a few of the older 45 tubes available since the 45 in the 170mm length is as popular as the other calibers.

Yoshi;

sorry for being such a noob but whats IIRC ???

Another question, is the can 170mm 40sw mag lips be modified to fit 45... I tried to load a 45rd on my 140mm 40sw mags and they were close in width, looked like they just need to be pounded out to open the lips up...

Good question.

Yoshi;

sorry for being such a noob but whats IIRC ???

Another question, is the can 170mm 40sw mag lips be modified to fit 45... I tried to load a 45rd on my 140mm 40sw mags and they were close in width, looked like they just need to be pounded out to open the lips up...

The rails on the sides are stamped a bit shallower on the 45 tube compared to the 40. I have an old 170 mm STI tube that I was told was a 45 tube and the rails are indeed shallower. Expect somewhat reduced capacity.

Later,

Chuck

IIRC=short for "if I recall correctly".

I concur with Chuck on the rail/ribs being shallower on the 45 than the 40.

You can use the 40 mag and adjust the feedlip to feed 45 but you'll be limited on capacity.

I haven't worked on a 45 STI/SVI but have heard they are a bit harder to run right compared to the 9/38 or 40 chambered STI/SVI guns.

If I were you, stick with a 45 mag and get the gun to run properly before playing with a 40 mag.