Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking 4 BB Gun loads (New PF) for .223

RS,

My plinker 55 grain load is 25.0 grains of H335 and is around 2800 FPS. 748 is almost 1:1 with 335, but I'd still check out reloading manuals. With a 16" barrel, you're not goin to get that much muzzle velocity drop between it and my 18" or 20".

Rich

FWIW, I am not changing a thing on my established loads. The muzzle brake works perfect as it is, the trajectory on out to the horizon is known and the loads chrono tighter than a rat's a$$. Why bother?

BTW, my .223 competition loading's come out at 185PF for the SMK 69 and 200PF for the SMK 77 :o:P:D

I don't know, I notice a big difference between Winchester Q3131A ~3050-3100 fps and PMC (?).

With a 50 yard zero 55's @ 2800 fps are actually flatter out to 200yds than @ 3100 fps. Of course it drops like a rock past 200. But my intent with the 2800 loads are for under 200 yard stages.

And of course it is slightly cheaper --- less powder and I am assuming less wear on the barrel.

If you want a mouse fart load, try to duplicate whatever Winchester factory soft point load various police agencies are leaving on my range. I pick up some of their fresh spillage and shoot it and it's incredibly poofy. I thought it was the 64 PowerPoint (223R2) but it might be a lighter soft point (223R). Next time I'll pull a bullet for weight and chrono some others.