Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions on using same scope for 3gun and .22LR practice upper

BlueOvalBruin

I just picked up a Nordic .22LR upper for 3gun practice and was hoping to use the same scope as my match upper. I don’t want to spend a bunch more money buying a new scope and mount though if I can avoid it. My scope is a Meopta K-dot 1-4x on a Larue SPR-E mount. Would it be ok to move the scope from 1 upper to the other once or twice a month and keep its zero? Would it damage the uppers or perhaps even the mount?

If it’s not a good idea, anyone have a recommendation for a suitable economical alternative to a meopta/larue mount combo?

Thanks.

Since your mount is steel, you won't do any damage by switching it back and forth. I have heard of aluminum mounts getting chewed up by repeated mounting/removal. I doubt your zero will be the same from rifle to rifle, but if you have thumb turrets you can figure out what adjustments need to be made when going to the 22 and dial those in. If everything works right with the system, undoing those adjustments and moving it back to the 223 should take you back to your original zero.

Good point about the zero being different. I'm surprised how different it is between various .223 uppers. My plan is to use this .22LR upper inside of 50 yds for the most part so hopefully the difference is not too bad. Maybe then I’ll just mark the turrets for each upper.

Thanks.

Would the switching maybe damage the aluminum rails on the uppers?

Not that I have noticed and I have been using Larue mounts for 6 or 7 years now and I take them off every time I clean the guns. I used to have a magnifier mount that I swapped back and forth between several rifles with red dots.

Pat

Thank you all for the info, sounds like I can save a few bucks then by using the same scope/mount.

Yep just write down the adjustments for each rifle and return it back when you change it back over.

Pat

+1. With a Larue mount that worked perfect for me.

And this is more than likely to bite you in a big match, LOL!

Buy a used Burris TAC 30 and PEPR or Larue mount for the .22 upper and be done with it, IMO...

Mick

Thank you all for the info, sounds like I can save a few bucks then by using the same scope/mount.

Yep just write down the adjustments for each rifle and return it back when you change it back over.

Pat

Edited by MickB

Buy a used Burris TAC 30 and PEPR or Larue mount for the .22 upper and be done with it, IMO...

Mick

Pat

Just make sure you double check all your gear and zeros before the big match. Your right having a dedicated scope is easier but fo some money is tight.

Pat

Mick

Pat

Just make sure you double check all your gear and zeros before the big match. Your right having a dedicated scope is easier but fo some money is tight.

Pat

.....and using the same scope has it's advantages too I what is want is using the upper as a training tool.

That is one reason I have stuck with using a Ceiner sub caliber adapter. I used them years ago in M16s when we were stuck without outdoor ranges at times in some deployments and never had problems with them. Same with the one I use now. The nice thing is that you are using everything the same on the gun except for the bolt. No second lower or optic. When I get a chance to shoot the local steel challenge type match I often use it as a 2nd gun. Lots of fun and works the transitions. On mine I have found it to shoot to about 1 1/2 inches over POA at targets out to 15 or 20 yards. That is comparison to the full 5.56 which shoots the normal 2 1/2 inches below POA at those ranges.

I second the suggestion to use an adapter. Then the rifle is as similar as possible ... same stock/cheek weld, trigger pull, weight/balance, etc. Oops, looks like you are reusing your lower. Still, you get the nth degree of similarity with a conversion kit. No opening the door for Mr Murphy to sneak in on match day.

Possible reasons to use a separate upper:

BBL twist rate: I know the twist rate isn't ideal. For hosing and CQB practice we aren't shooting fly wings at 100 yds .... Mine in a 7.7 twist shoots plenty fine.

Leading the gas tube: I've never seen anyone show evidence? I've always assumed that full powered rounds may clean this out? If not, drip lead solvent into the tube and finish your session with .223/5.56.

Leading the BBL: Use plated .22s. Cleaning bbls is pretty straight forward and likely as easy as switching mounts.

Unreliable conversion kits: Thing of the past ... my Ceiner runs like a scalded cat. Black dog mags and original .... makes no difference.

You can paypal me .02 cents now ..... ;)

Edited by kdmoore

Unreliable conversion kits: Thing of the past ... my Ceiner runs like a scalded cat. Black dog mags and original .... makes no difference.

I tried a friend's Ciener in my gun and it wouldn't run worth a damn with my Timney trigger. It won't run with the JP light springs on his rifle either, but it's fine with the milspec spring weights.

I'm in the exact situation as the OP. I have a K-Dot on my 223 and just picked up a Nordic upper. I went with a Primary Arms 1-4x on their deluxe extended mount. Scope and mount together were less money than I paid for the Larue mount on my 223. Obviously the glass quality is no where close, but I think it'll do the job as a practice tool.

When I put the JP trigger in mine I wondered if there would be an issue with the subcaliber adapter. Works fine on mine, but I did keep the stock hammer and only changed the trigger, springs and connector. I think there can be an issue with some other hammers.

Gotta run the adapters a bit wet though. Also have never seen any issues with the barrel and what a difference the Black Dog or CMMG mags make over the stock Ceiner ones!