Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm on new XL650

Been a long time 550 user and still have it. My new 650 showed up last week and I am having a big problem with crushed primers in the 9mm (cci spp). I have cycled the handle 25 times with just primers to see if they were flipping in the wheel. They were not. The primers I am having trouble with go in at a 45 degree angle and get crushed. Half of the primer is sticking out of the pocket crushed. All the brass I am using has gone through my 550 with no problems. I have read all the 650 posts I could find on this problem. I then decided to try and reloaded 40sw, 45acp and both calibers had no problems. Even the 40sw with cci spp worked perfectly. I set up 9mm again to retry and got 4 crushed primers with 12 strokes. I have the locating tab (station 2) about a business card thick and have tried it way in and way out. The primer plunger is tight, looks center in the shell plate and is clean. Called Dillon and they are sending a new shell plate for starters. I have the bearing on the shell plate and have it as snug as possible without drag. I have pulled the primer wheel tray, clean all parts and lubed the pin it rotates on. Any other ideas from some of you 650 gurus? Thanks, Bill

Edited by B767capt

have you made sure you have small primer wheel tray and small primer punch installed?

why is dillon sending a new shell plate? you are using a number 5 right?

Edited by vernbo

Yes using #5. The reason a new shell plate is being sent, is the 40sw with spp worked perfectly. Also the 45 acp was perfect with lpp. Yes I switched the primer punch, primer wheel, primer tube from large to small when switching primers. Dillons thinking is the shell plate maybe slightly off since all other calibers worked. My press is solidly mounted on a bench with no movement. I have played with the spring tab on #2 from touching the case to a lot of play and every where in between. Still crushes primers. I was just looking for other ideas while waiting on a new shell plate. Will report back with results on the new plate.