Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A shotgunners bad day!

Sterling White

A friend just sent this 870 pic to me....said there were no injuries that everyone including the shooter are OK but went on to say that this incident did cause some concern! The incident occurred when dummy rounds and live rounds were being used during a training exercise. The investigation is still on-going but the use of dummy rounds has been halted per the investigation initial findings!

Looks like one hell of a squib!

159353.JPG

Looks like an obstruction of some sort.

Saw a Winchester in a similar condition - rupture was close to the muzzle so it looked like a banana peel.

Cause was a wad that had caught on a loose choke tube. Next round thundered down the tube, hit that obsrtuction and...

Unfortunately a typical response: blame the thing that is not likely to actually cause a problem because the ramifications of recognizing the root cause are too big.

Not good but I'm pleased no-one was hurt.

I'm not convinced this is the result of a 20 ga cartridge with a 12 ga cartridge behind it. In such a case the detonation would usually result in damage at the breach end. This doesn't look like a breach blockage but a blockage towards the end of the barrel.

Nor does it look like the result of a plug (e.g. mud plug) inserted from the end of the barrel, that tends to result in a peeled banana effect from the end of the barrel backwards.

The picture isn't clear enough to tell, but the barrel doesn't look heavily choked, nor is it obvious that it was fitted with screw in chokes but the damaged area would be consistent with a significate blockage a couple of inches back from the leading edge of a choke.

It's certainly an unusual one.

With regards to the problem of possibly mixing 20 ga and 12 ga cartridges I recommend (teach it on courses as good practice) and encourage any family or club where this could occur to choose a cartridge colour for the 20 ga that is completely unique to any 12 ga cartridges. For example choose a yellow cartridge for 20 ga (assuming they function OK) and then never permit yellow 12 gauge in the same household or club. Not essential but it adds another element of safety.

Also when I teach basic courses I will usually remove a barrel and then demonstrate how easily the 20 ga cartridge drops in place and follow it up with a 12 ga to prove it will fully chamber. A demonstration speaks much louder than words. Most students are gob smacked. They haven't even considered it as a potential danger.

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't take much to blow up a barrel. Take a look at this Beretta.

DSCN2334.jpg

This was from my former roommate's friend when they were duck hunting. He had cheap ammo that got wet. The round fired and cycle the action. He did say it felt kind of wierd and you could see the shot leave the barrel kind of slow. But you know how stupid people get when they are hunting, so he pulled the trigger again. Didn't get the bird either. I always am nervous when I go out hunting with them. IPSC matches and IPSC shooters are so much safer.

He did say it felt kind of wierd and you could see the shot leave the barrel kind of slow.  But you know how stupid people get when they are hunting, so he pulled the trigger again.

Nice, but all to common with many things in life.

• 7 months later...
A friend just sent this 870 pic to me....said there were no injuries that everyone including the shooter are OK but went on to say that this incident did cause some concern! The incident occurred when dummy rounds and live rounds were being used during a training exercise. The investigation is still on-going but the use of dummy rounds has been halted per the investigation initial findings!

Looks like one hell of a squib!

159353.JPG

gmw2b

I'm conducting a training course in a couple of weeks time and I seem to remember that this image would have been useful for this particular course.

Unfortunately, I can't see it any more. Can you please help. Thanks.

It doesn't take much to blow up a barrel. Take a look at this Beretta.

DSCN2334.jpg

This was from my former roommate's friend when they were duck hunting. He had cheap ammo that got wet. The round fired and cycle the action. He did say it felt kind of wierd and you could see the shot leave the barrel kind of slow. But you know how stupid people get when they are hunting, so he pulled the trigger again. Didn't get the bird either. I always am nervous when I go out hunting with them. IPSC matches and IPSC shooters are so much safer.

Scooter

I'm conducting a training course in a couple of weeks time and I seem to remember that this image would have been useful for this particular course.

Unfortunately, I can't see it any more. Can you please help. Thanks.