Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading for rifle other than 223 and 308

duckear

Does anyone reload for other rifle calibers than 223 or 308? ;)

I understand why folks reload for these because of high volume shooting. Heck, I reload for .223 on my 650.

But I have been trying to decide if it is worth the trouble and expense to set up for other calibers, mostly practice rounds for my hunting rifles.

.375 H&H, .280, 7mm-08 , .300 H&H, etc.

Furthermore, how do you set up your 650 when Dillon doesn't offer an 'official' conversion kit? I assume to you look at the parent case and bullet diameter and pick and choose pieces that look like they should work and go from there?

I am curious how many rifle rounds per year folks consider 'enough' before moving from their single stage to their Dillon. I know this is different for everyone, but would like to hear folks' thoughts and insights.

Also, after playing with the online caliber conversion charts, has anyone every looked at the most versatile combinations of conversions to buy, with the least duplication of components, that will allow you to swap pieces to reload for the most cartridges? I have a safe full of dozens of calibers and reload for them all on a single stage; however, ordering dedicated conversions for each would be cost prohibitive.

I am with you on the single stage vs 650. I do reload some rifle and hunting pistol rounds on a single stage. For me, if I am going to reload 100 or less, its just as quick to do it manually. I have the dies setup for my loads and process all the loads one stage at a time. Plus I hand measure every load for my hunting rounds.

I do this with 450 Bushmaster, 44 Magnum loaded to max (for Ruger Only) and 270. I loaded a 100 44 Mags specifically for hunting 4 years ago. I still have quite a few left. I tend to load a batch of 100 or less at one time and it lasts for a few years. A few weeks back I reloaded 50 450 Bushmasters, that's all the free brass I had. Its hard to justify the setup time and additional cost for that small of a volume.

5.56, 9, 40 and 45 are another story. I'll load a 500 to 1,000 at a time and always do it on the 650.

Funny you should mention the 300 and 375 H&H. I reload for both of them. The 375 is very easy to load for. My 300 was a pain to find a good load for, but now its cake but brass life sucks.

The 300 and 375 use a standard belted magnum case head, so just look up the number for a 300 Win Mag or a caliber like it.

I load mostly on 1050s, but all my non 223/308/300 Whisper ammo gets loaded on a 550.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 650 and 550. I dont think that you can load anything longer than .30-06 on a 650, but it might be as short as .308. If you look at the cost of reloading .223: 100 rds about .12-.15, or 12.00-15.00 per 100 you save about 18.00-15.00 over new factory and your reloads will likley shoot better. If you look at reloading .300 win mag cost with premieum match bullets its closer to .40 per round or 40.00 per 100.00. Factory match 300 win mag ammo is pricy stuff at 45.00-50.00 per 20, so you can load 100 rds of match ammo for the cost of one box of factory -brass cost. Its the same way with loading 9mm, you do save quite a bit over factory 9mm ammo but you save tons of money reloading .357 or .44 mag over factory ammo.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot about 1k rounds of 6.5x47 Lapua last year and hand loaded them all on a coax press. This year shot about (don't have my books w/ me) 1200 rounds of 223 / 300 of 6.5x47 for F-class all hand loaded and maybe 800 223 thru an AR all hand loaded. For hunting probably about 100 rounds of 458 Socom (pigs) and 25 rounds of 7mm08 (deer) all handloaded.

I keep threatening to get a conversion for the 223, but will only use it for the AR.

I've heard that David Tubb uses a Dillon for all of his ammo, but I'm no David Tubb.