Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun 10.4 barreled SBR optic

Gris7

I am new to the forum so please do not beat me up. Just started to get interested in 3 gun competition. Thanks for the forum and the research available and the the people who provide their opinion on what works. I am struggling on a choice of optics for a 1-4x. I have a 10.4 barreled SBR. While I love some of the integral bdc reticules on the scopes, I know that it won't match to my 10.4 SBR. I plan using Black Hills OTM 77 gr match bullets. I would love to get a Swarovski Z6 BRT and use the bdc calculator on the website but the price range would be a big strecth.

Any I am leaning towards Meopta 1-4x22 k dot zd , trijicon tr24G, and vortex pst viper. Any advice between the three would greatly appreciated. Which would you recommend?

Or are there any suggestions on optics that one can get custom bdc turrents instead of the integral bdc reticules or are there any scopes with integral bdc reticules that closely match the trajectory of the 77 gr match bullets from a 10.4 barrel?

Using match rounds for most 3gun shooting is a waste of time and money.

They only reason I even handload my 3gun ammo is because I have a ton of 223 components lying around and they need to get used up. Otherwise buying affordable factory ammo is the best solution for 3gun.

You gotta get your hands on some of these optics and see which one you like the most, but most importantly you need to "run what ya got"! Get out and shoot a couple of local 3gun matches, you will figure out what does and doesn't work for you in a hurry.

Using match rounds for most 3gun shooting is a waste of time and money.

I could not dissagree with this more. if you have a competitive nature at all, the most accuracy you can squeeze out of your rifle reliably, the better.

If all you have is the SBR, have fun with it for now, but keep in mind it is not the ideal tool for 3-gun. A longer bbl with rifle gas is more desirable.

I prefer the Trijicon of the three you posted. I currently run it on both my game guns. You will of course get others that prefer something else. It really is a personal preferance, as there is no perfect scope. To find what suits you will take some trial and error on your part unless you want to settle for what someone else likes.

You are correct that most BDC reticles will not work for you, however if your get a reticle that is calibrated to MIL or MOA marks then you can use it in a similar way. You just have to chrono your rifle with a specific load, and do a little testing to find out what distance the hash marks/stadia lines represent. I use a Vortex with a MOA reticle, and I have used testing and ballistic programs to calculated my holds using the stadia lines. It works pretty well. It would work even better if I had more trigger time at distances over 450.

Matt

You are correct that most BDC reticles will not work for you, however if your get a reticle that is calibrated to MIL or MOA marks then you can use it in a similar way. You just have to chrono your rifle with a specific load, and do a little testing to find out what distance the hash marks/stadia lines represent. I use a Vortex with a MOA reticle, and I have used testing and ballistic programs to calculated my holds using the stadia lines. It works pretty well. It would work even better if I had more trigger time at distances over 450.

Matt

+1 this. I have a 10.5 SBR that I love to shoot and with this method it is quite handy. Go shoot and have fun. Try other rigs and see what works for you. For the game, you rarely see an SBR, but the do have panache and cool points.

:cheers: