Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reducing trigger pull weight

Nealio

I put the EGW prepped sear and the roller plunger (with a reduced power spring) in my gun today. I already have polished my trigger bar and have previously installed the EGW hammer. So after upgrading my parts, my trigger pull is slightly stiffer. It breaks a lot crisper now, but it is stiffer. Any ideas on what I can do to lighten it up? Its probably 4lbs now.

The next easy one to try is to adjust the trigger return spring. Bend one of the legs a bit so that it doesn't present as much tension. Be careful not to go too far since you obviously want the the gun to stlil reset.

Cannibalize some springs from some ballpens, and try replacing the spring on the plunger. Or if you are brave, trim off 2 coils from the stock spring.

Do you know if the EGW was a Henning prepped hammer? If not, and you have a prepped hammer, you'll notice that the hammer hooks are taller. Trimming the hooks down will help a little bit, but only do this if you know what you are doing (or willing to sacrifice a perfectly good hammer.

If that still isn't enough, next comes the hard one. ONLY DO THIS IF YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Adjust the sear spring. If I recall correctly the stock sear spring has the two legs almost 180 degrees apart when not in the sear cage. Notice how in the sear cage the actual angle is much much less. You can bend the sear spring to reduce the angle of the spring when not under tension, but there is a very real danger of the gun doubling and/or going full auto if you go too far.

It is a stock EGW hammer.

The thing that is puzzling me us why it went from a 3.5# pull to a 4# pull after I installed the rolling plunger and the sear. I polished the sear face really good, so all the parts that I installed should have made a LIGHTER trigger pull.

The only thing that got lighter was my wallet... ;)

Oh, I missed the part about the rolling plunger. Mine went up too, so I went back to the vanilla plunger because at the time, I didn't have time to dork with it. I'd try lowering the spring pressure. It'll probably be another winter project to get the rolling plunger working as advertised.

Yeah Henning sent me his light plunger spring too. It seems like the trigger pull is lighter without the sear engaged, so maybe I need to polish the hammer hooks... ?

Just seems kinda lame to drop $100 and get a heavier trigger pull. LOL

I had Henning do a trigger job. Installed EGW sear/hammer, flat trigger system, roller plunger and lighter main spring. I just tested it with RCBS gauge and it measured 1.75lbs.

I was expecting light, but that was much ligher than expected.

Yeah Henning sent me his light plunger spring too. It seems like the trigger pull is lighter without the sear engaged, so maybe I need to polish the hammer hooks... ?

Just seems kinda lame to drop $100 and get a heavier trigger pull. LOL

Re-watch Henning's video about installing the flat trigger system. Although you don't have the FTS, a lot of the tips he has in the video about fitting helps with the stock trigger as well.

I think it might be the sear and hammer hook engagement. The hammer hooks have a slightly forward angle to them. My old sear I think was completely 90 to the hooks while the new sear has a very slight forward angle as well, which then takes a lot of force to dis-engage.

I'm going to take a tiny bit of angle off the hammer good and see if that takes some force off.