Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shortening FAL Barrels

Phil Dunlop

Its an L1A1 I'm working on, in 308, original barrel, would like to shorten the gun like the DSA carbines and comp it.

Can anyone tell me if the gas port needs opening up and if so to what diameter?

Many thanks,

P.D.

I think you're going to find that the gas port might require a little enlargement to allow for the adjustable feature of this rifle to remain. My 16" FAL has its gas port opened up to 0.124" just so that I can use it at 4 or 3 setting rather than completely closed up

Every rifle is different, after doing barrel work try it out with chosen ammo and some surplus blaster ammo also, Depending on where your gas setting is you may need to open the port up a drill size at a time to where your gas setting is right.

Remember the gas port is fairly large to start with to compensate for gummed up rifles in battle settings. It is easy to make a hole bigger but real hard to make one smaller.

Don't quote me but...I believe on a 16" you probably need to start at #32 (.113") and go up #33 (.116") etc. shoud not need anything above .120" unless building a SBR but your milage may vary

DO NOT open more than needed

www.falfiles.com is a good resource to search

Depending on the entire rifle's gas op system, 0.116 might not be enough. Mine had to be opened up to 0.124 from 0.116 to work reliably. BTW, work was done by VOW, and not on my kitchen table ;) It is working good with mil surp stuff, even in 20 degrees weather.