Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS Turret Deluxe?s

Hi yall I am looking into reloading and want to start with 9mm and will be using "some Military brass". I looked around and had my mind set on a Dillon 650 but I decided to pass on it and go single stage so I can pay better attention to each step while learning. So while looking for good single stage presses I came across the RCBS Turret Deluxe and really like the idea of a turret press.

So that leads me to the quality of the RCBS Turret Press and how long I can expect one to last?

What dies should I setup in the Turret and can the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Die stay in the turret?

Any other reloading advice would be great.

Thanks Lance

You can probably expect that most stuff from RCBS will still be working long after you have any need of it.

BUT, the leap from a 650 to a turret is pretty huge. It's like going from a race car to a bicycle. I'm not sure how much you plan on reloading but unless it's a fairly small volume, then you will quickly find yourself wishing you had gotten a progressive press.

That said, I can't say I would suggest a 650 as a first press unless you already know that you are going to be loading really large volumes - it's simply more press than you probably need. If you want to go with Dillon, then a Square Deal or 550 would be a more logical choice.

You can probably expect that most stuff from RCBS will still be working long after you have any need of it.

BUT, the leap from a 650 to a turret is pretty huge. It's like going from a race car to a bicycle. I'm not sure how much you plan on reloading but unless it's a fairly small volume, then you will quickly find yourself wishing you had gotten a progressive press.

That said, I can't say I would suggest a 650 as a first press unless you already know that you are going to be loading really large volumes - it's simply more press than you probably need. If you want to go with Dillon, then a Square Deal or 550 would be a more logical choice.

+1. You might want to consider the basic 550. You can learn as if using a single stage press but upgrade to progressive when needed. Here's alink to the basic 550. http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25792/catid/1/BL_550_Basic_Loader Good luck. :cheers:

Thanks for the advice so far. The only thing I will reload is 9mm and .40 and the most in a month will be 400 of one or the other. I have a nice workshop and looking for something to do as a hobby after work so Im not looking for speed.

Thanks

Edited by bigtattoo79

I would go with the 550. You can use it as a turret press and load one at a time to learn on, then use it as a progressive when you get up to speed without making any changes to the setup.

I have used a 550 for years. It's a solid investment.

My thinking is that the RCBS Turret could be set up with a: Uniflow powder measurer, Primer Pocket Swager Die, Heavy Duty Decapping Die, Sizer Die, Expander Die and Seater Die.

This setup to run Military "crimped" brass and act as a learning tool.

How would I run Military "crimped" brass on lets say a Dillon 550/650?

Thanks