Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Touch the trigger with only the middle...

...and pull straight back.

Tonight, at a friends range/home, we took turns shooting steel plates (~8-10" wide) at 75 yards. The object: fewest number of rounds to hit and knock down.

First run: 1 shot, 1 kd

2nd run: 1 shot, 1 kd (have I mentioned that NRA AP helps your overall shooting?)

3rd run: 4 shots, no kd - center up the first pad on the trigger and pull straight back = kd

This is key to pulling off accurate shots at any distance. Contract the trigger with as little of your finger as possible and pull straight back. I noticed during the times I missed that the finger was touching the edges of the trigger shoe, but when I recentered the finger, it did not (touch the edge).

Thanks D-Lo - you helped me to learn a lot about my shooting.

They didn't look that wide! They were rectangular poppers ... about the same height as a US Popper and not very wide.

BigDave was just scary with those first two runs. I had to pull out the ol', "Dave, you MAGNIFICENT BASTARD!" line because it was so impressive.

It took me five shots on my first run, then I got it in two on the second, then I pulled a BigDave on the third try. I scared myself when did it, because I was shooting the 9mm Springfield which shouldn't have been able to hit something that small at that distance. Then on the fourth run I couldn't hit it at all.

I was very aware of my trigger control on the shots when I actually hit and knocked the popper down. I just wish I could duplicate that trigger control all the time without thinking about it. I do have to use almost the very tip of my finger in order to press the trigger directly backward, though. If I could get an even shorter trigger, I might be able to get to the middle of the pad, but as it is, I will still push to the side a bit if I try to get that much of my finger through the trigger guard.