Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147s how fast is fast enough or too fast?

KentG

I just got back from the chrono of my first batch of 9s and I'm not sure if I need to maybe bump it up. Using MG 147s and VV N320.

Of the 2 strings one was AVG 916.5 ES 22.69 SD 6.48

String 2 was AVG 906.0 ES 41.66 SD 12.52

For a comparison I had a box of WW white box 147s and they crono at AVG 1026 ES 44.50 SD 15.81

They shot very well and accurate. Soft is the word. The WW were way snappier but they are also moving a lot faster.

I shot a plate rack at about 13- 15 yards and a couple full size poppers and they went down. I just want to make sure I have enough poop here to consistently put steel down. This will be used for multi gun so while it does make power thats not a concern.

Anyone else run loads in this range or do I possibly need to bump it up a bit to around 950? I'm on the fence.

Your average is 133 PF, IMHO, more than enough.

Im thinking so but I have shot 45 for so many years I want to make sure I have enough velocity and energy to consistantly put steel down with the 9s.

Load em to where you like the way the front sight tracks. I am currently loading for my 6" Benny Built gun with 147 Black Bullets to ~140pf. To me - that's the sweet spot. The slide is nice and quick and the gun tracks well.

YMMV of course....cool.gif

I run 124 MG JHPs at 130 PF and never have issues with steel in a match.

I had them turned down to about 124-125 PF for a steel plate match and they were more than enough to get the job done.

Provided you get a hit anywhere even close to the "sweet spot", it's not going to give you problems. One of the major claimed benefits of the 147's is their ability to take down the steel, and people don't load them super hot as a result. You might even get lucky with certain edge hits, but... better to just shoot well. :D

147 MG

3.5 N320

1.140 OAL

5" Colt 1911, Glock 17

Scary consistent at 132-133 PF.

Been running it for 4 years, NEVER had a properly set piece of steel

fail to go down with one hit.

You can mess with it to tune sight tracking if you want, but

it's a good load as-is.

I verified my loads. A 10 throw average gave me a powder charge average of 3.52 on my Mack digital. I upped it to 3.61 for a 10 throw average. Got a power factor of 134.7

Off a rest at about 10 yards its one ragged hole for the 10 shot string. Im going to stand pat and it wasnt really enough of a change to fret over. The time is better spent practicing. PS. I just put on the Carver and need to check it out but its got a cool factor.

IMG_0364.jpg