Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

David E.'s quest to get into a 3GN shoot-off!

Nuke8401

Shot the worst 2 matches of my life this past Sat and Sun.

SAT - 5 stage IDPA match, missed everything. Trying to change to the FS M+P 9. Not sure if I just can't shoot it as well as my G34 or if I just can't shoot period.

SUN - Short range rifle match, starts and mag changes went well, rifle turned into a single shot. Even beating it with a ball peen hammer didn’t help.

Just mad as H#$% right now! :angry2:

Edited by Nuke8401

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot the worst 2 matches of my life this past Sat and Sun.

SAT - 5 stage IDPA match, missed everything. Trying to change to the FS M+P 9. Not sure if I just can't shoot it as well as my G34 or if I just can't shoot period.

SUN - Short range rifle match, starts and mag changes went well, rifle turned into a single shot. Even beating it with a ball peen hammer didn’t help.

Just mad as H#$% right now! :angry2:

Relax, platform changes take some time to get used to, especially for someone who dryfires a lot (or so I hear). The POA on the M&P is different from the Glocks. I am in the process of making the same change, from Gs to an M&P.

• 2 weeks later...

Previous rifle problems due to worn gas rings. While it did pas the gas ring test, my gun seems to like new rings. I did go back to the stock ARMALITE FS gas block, cut off the sight. Replaced extractor, ejector and buffer springs, ejects about 3 o'clock, and was ejecting 5-6. Waiting for the MGI buffer to arrive and test. Completed Kydex cheek piece and installed front sight only at 45 degrees. Did some sight in and practice with Front sight only out to 10 yards. Need more practice but think this set-up will be real fast 0-10 yds. :cheers:

Pistol-G34-trigger back to reduced power striker spring 15lb recoil and 1 week of trigger prep-dry fire practice. Ordered .245 high front sight, have always shot high at distance.

• 2 weeks later...

Recovering from minor thumb surgery last Tuesday. Shot some 22s from my Glock advantage arms conversion at 4” plates. Started some physical training, pulling the sled/tire 1.5 miles and jungle gym workouts. Some dryfire with rifle, working the offset front sight setup.

Dan,

Right now I'm looking at:

1. 8/24 AR15/Rockcastle PRO/AM shooting PRO

2. 9/19 FNH USA 3 Gun, WV - Is this the last 3GN match with the shoot-off at the end?

3. 10/18 BRM3C

I was hoping for another 3GN match at either Rockcastle, KY or Peacemaker, Glengary, WV early in the year before the 9/19 FNH USA match. My goal was to shoot three 3 GN matches and see where I fall in the overall ranking. Not sure that's going to happen.

I think I could commit to the 5/20 Topton and 7/14 Peacemaker 3 man 3 gun events but no prospective team right now.

Smaller matches:

1. 3/17 1st Annual Excruciathalon @ MRGCI, rifle match

2. 3/31 5th Annual Houghton Memorial 2 GUN at West Point.

3. As many "Local" 2,3 gun matches as I can go to. With about a 2-3 hours driving limit one way.

4. The only pistol only matches I would be willing to travel for would be "walls of steel" type.

Also, the big matches are expensive. Besides gear, travel, ammo, and match fees of $200-250, this unsponsored shooter is limited! I would rather see lower match fees and a smaller prize table, but thats another topic of debate.

I just want to shoot! :cheers:

How about you?

I think I can get a firmer plan when 3GN posts the 2012 season matches, which I think is after the shot show?

Oh, and I would love to shoot the MGM Iron Man, no real chance this year, next year maybe?

Edited by Nuke8401

Smaller matches:

1. 3/17 1st Annual Excruciathalon @ MRGCI, rifle match

This makes me think of NES member shoots, no thank you :ph34r:

I'm in for the He-Man Nationals in Raton, waiting for the final confirmation for Rocky Mountain 3 Gun. Probably West Point, and maybe FNH.

Shot 2 pistol matches this past weekend. Strong side thumb still hurts from surgery and makes reloading a "Screaming" event. Hurts like !@#$% when push the mag ejector. The front sight flew off my G34 on stage 4 of an 8 stage match on Sunday. You can shoot a Glock pretty good at 45 degrees using the corner of the slide as a sight. For some reason my grip change caused some slide bit. I have my G34 setup with a slightly heavier trigger pull than normal to match my Advantage Arms 22 conversion. Practicing trigger control a few nights a week. Reloading 223 and 9mm, have about 500 rds 223 and 500 9mm loaded. Another 1000 223 and 1500 9mm to go before the season starts.

Physical Training: Still pulling the tire sled 5 days a week 1.5 miles, shooting 22 pistol along the way at 4” steel. Weight 217, up from my low before the holidays, still a ways to go.

• 3 weeks later...

1/28/2012 - Outlaw Steel Challenge Match, third Steel Challenge type match I have shot in the past 9 years. 4 stages with bonus stage of 1 string on a polish plate rack with 5-6 other pieces of steel and a "stop" plate. Cleared the polish plate rack except for last plate before it started spinning. Forgot about the "stop" plate and shot it with 2 pieces of steel standing/ 6 seconds in penalties. No other meltdowns.

Finished 6 of 66 shooters. This finish doesnt sound bad except that the match winner, Tom Yost, beat me by 27 seconds on only 5 stages, ouch!!

Did some good live fire practice Monday the 30th with some friends. Tried the triple nickel drill, G34 production gun from concealment 1 run in high 4s other 2 runs in low 5s. Did this near the end of practice, finger started to slow down, my glock has max pretravel with about a 4 pound pull. One of the guys I was shooting with normally beats me in matches but during practice I think I consistently just barely beat him. Not sure why.

New goals for this year are:

1. Shoot in the 3GN Qualifier to see how I stack up. This may be in 2013.

2. Shoot as many 3 GUN, action rifle, action shotgun matches as possible.

3. Maintain my handgun skill level.

4. Learn how to shoot birds in the air, skeet I guess?

5. Develop/improve my longer range rifle skills. Should have access to a 400 yard range this year.

4 stage Action Rifle this Sunday can't wait! :cheers:

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

If you are working on shotgun targets like we normally see in 3Gun, I don't think skeet would be the best option. Sporting Clays would be better. The flippers, you just have to practice shooting flippers, and don't set them all the same. These vary a lot so some variation is beneficial to practice.

Mark,

I just have no skills shooting moving targets. I thought Skeet or something else might help overall. I might put together a makeshift flipper to practice with.

Dan,

Yes, Tom is really above my level.

David

Mark,

I just have no skills shooting moving targets. I thought Skeet or something else might help overall. I might put together a makeshift flipper to practice with.

Dan,

Yes, Tom is really above my level.

David

I was right there with you a few years ago. But Skeet is so repeatable that you end up figuring out what you need to do. Some fun, but much more predicatable than what we see in 3Gun, I actually think it hurt my wing-shooting and flying clay shooting. Now I got run off the SC course for finishing a 100 clay round in 15 minutes. They did not like the vest much either. :ph34r:

I've become fond of the "Annie Oakley" game. Line up 3 to 6 shooters over a trap house, stand only a few feet back to maybe 15 feet back separated by 10 feet between shooters. Load 60 clays and let a clay go every second. Shooter 1 gets first shot and on down the line. If the target gets dusted or the last chip to get hit, that guy gets a point. When the thrower is out of clays, rotate positions. You have to keep the gun loaded, you get to track every target and you have to be quick on the trigger. That and SC have helped my moving clays shooting go from about 35% in 2010 to over 90% in 2011. High guy eats free lunch makes it all the more fun.

I've become fond of the "Annie Oakley" game. Line up 3 to 6 shooters over a trap house, stand only a few feet back to maybe 15 feet back separated by 10 feet between shooters. Load 60 clays and let a clay go every second. Shooter 1 gets first shot and on down the line. If the target gets dusted or the last chip to get hit, that guy gets a point. When the thrower is out of clays, rotate positions. You have to keep the gun loaded, you get to track every target and you have to be quick on the trigger. That and SC have helped my moving clays shooting go from about 35% in 2010 to over 90% in 2011. High guy eats free lunch makes it all the more fun.

Mark,

We had a match out here last fall with one stage that was Team Challenge "flurry" like. 25 birds from 6 traps with 4 seconds between bird. The first 6 were pairs. :wacko:

This was for a single shooter, not a group.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

Mark,

We had a match out here last fall with one stage that was Team Challenge "flurry" like. 25 birds from 6 traps with 4 seconds between bird. The first 6 were pairs.

This was for a single shooter, not a group.

Dan, I had almost blocked this out of my mind, and you bring it up again! I think I went throught 9 in the gun and 30 or so reloads to get just a few of those birds!

David

• 3 months later...

Long time no entries.

Disappointing performance in the West Point Match in March. Poor pistol skills and being out of shape killed me.

Since then:

1. I am a member of a new local club with a 400 yd rifle range and have my rifle load and zero working good 0-400yds.

2. Just recently have my G34 trigger the best it has ever been with a Vanek Classic, over travel stop and a Lone Wolf lightened Striker.

3. Working on shotgun reloading, have done some dry fire and will be base lining my skills with Keith G's challenge this weekend. Also working on grabbing 5-6 shells for weak hand reload. 5 shells are as easy for me to grab/handle as 4. Still working on grabbing 6 but the fumble factor and slower loading of the first shell or 2 might make this not worth it. It would be nice to have a shell holder that groups the shells in a bunch vice a string as they end up bunched in the hand anyway.

4. Also working on my own weapon transition drill: Plate rack, rifle loaded on table (.22lr conversion), shotgun loaded on table, pistol loaded/holstered. One step between weapons. Beep, table start rifle, 2 plates, safe rifle and dump on table, shotgun 2 plates safe on table, pistol 2 plates. Started out in the 11-12 second range, best time to date is 8.99; the pistol is holding me up. Plate rack at 18yds.

5. Struggled with my weight on and off my whole life, starting CrossFit next week.

My focus has changed from "getting in a shoot-off" to putting in the time and effort to perform at my very best in the AR-15 PRO/AM, FNH and BRM3G matches. Setting a new rule for shooting any match; I cant/wont shoot a match unless I have practiced/improved something since the last match!I just want to see where I fall out in the Semi-pro rankings.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

Dan,

Thanks for the offer on the 2011, still might take you up on it when I get to a USPSA match up your way.

I had a good local match last night;8 stages, 4 down zero, 2 down one, last two stages were down millions(9 each). Need practice on movers. Accuracy much better after dry fire, paying attention to trigger reset, striving for down zero. Finished 1st in SSP, 2nd overall with 4 MAs shooting the match.

Day off today, Cross Fit app 8:45, been starving for a week now, felt lighter on my feet last night at the match. Plan to practice with swinger today. Record my baseline on the shotgun loading challenge. And this weekend some rifle at the FNH 3 gun targets. Want to also compare my accuracy at 300/400 yards using 1x vice 3x on my Leopold CQT, considering buying a Priz and shooting TI (Crazy).

Edited by Nuke8401

Friday I ran the Keith G’s shotgun drill, just under 15.61 second. .84 time to first shot, 4.40 reload,.36 split, 4.58 reload, .28 split, 5.75 reload. I have a videos and will post after uploading to youtube. Tuff to get three good loads in a row. Plan to test once a month until AR 15 match and see how much time I can cut off. I also did some shot to shot load 4 drills 3.7 shot to shot was my best.

Sat did some .22(conversion) and .223 close rifle practice on some FNH pizza targets. Splits using the .22 were .18 - .22 and surprisingly my splits with .223 were about the same. 5 targets, V shape at 10yds, 20yds, and 30 yds. Trying to see if there are benefits to taking 1 vs. 2 shots. While 1 is faster the consequence of missing an “A” is pretty high vs. taking a little longer to take 2 anywhere. I also walked into a "Buffalo shoot" at my new gun club on the rifle range. Basically shooting at a steel Buffalo (maybe 24" hump to chest) at 400yds off-hand in 5 round runs. First run 3 for 5, got in the shoot off, missed on the first shot/lost. So now I wondering what MOA target I should be able to hit for each shooting position (without too many misses or taking forever.

Sunday, CrossFit intro class one-on-one. Man am I going to be sore and I didn’t even do the WOD. 1 May weighed 225, today 215 after 2 ½ weeks on mostly the Zone diet.

My BP was down 116/61 after workout/lunch. Not sure why it’s so low.

I’m “ALL-IN” for the next three months on the workout, diet, practice to get ready for my first major match, AR-15 PRO/AM.

Edited by Nuke8401

• 2 weeks later...

Fine tuned my AR loads; 68gr BTHP Hornady and 55gr FMJBT Hornady bulk same POI at both 200yds (my scope zero) and 400yds.

Sunday, club level 3 GUN, ran the match, shot OK, missed a shotgun steel forcing a reload. Note to self; when missing with a shotgun forces a reload, especially an empty gun reload, don't miss!!!

CrossFit and diet on track.