Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hazmat!

BDH

I absolutley hate Hazmat charges!!! They seem overpriced, and it seems that there are no consistencies in how they are applied (some vendors allow you to ship one box with both powder and primers, and some do not).

On top of this, I would imagine with our emphasis on Homeland security, they will probably get worse, not better... newburn.gif

Quote: from BDH on 9:59 am on Mar. 2, 2003

On top of this, I would imagine with our emphasis on Homeland security, they will probably get worse, not better...
newburn.gif

The new rules on "explosives" is putting the Model Rocketry hobby out-of-business.  The small Estes engines you may remember are now considered dangerous, and each and every person along the supply chain must be certified, have a background check, and be fingerprinted!

http://www.msnbc.com/news/877295.asp

http://www.scifitoday.com/story/2003/2/25/72638/9317

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/rocke...ity_020325.html

Can smokeless powder and primers be far behind?

This is f'ing ridiculous!  Modern model rocketry has a virtually spotless safety record - and that has been the result of self-policing on it's part.

Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!  

On this basis we ought to ban Little League.  We could also place a ban indoor soccer.  I've met or heard of half a dozen people getting absolutely *maimed* (i.e. severe compound fractures) playing indoor soccer (because the astroturf is placed directly on concrete).  Where's the outcry?  Where's the regulation?!  Doesn't anybody care.....?

Eric,

The soccer doesn't get it, because it's a popular kiddie pastime that allows moms to be "involved" in their kids' lives. It's "quality time." and all that bs. It doesn't involve responsible action on either the kid's or parents' parts. You know, like firearms or rockets.

GRRRRR!!!!!

Liota

Quote: from Chriss Grube on 5:16 pm on Mar. 2, 2003

That's why you buy everything you need at the match. No BS extra fee.

Great point, and I normally do try to buy at matches. First, to support the vendors that support us, and second, to avoid the Hazmat and shipping. That said, I STILL hate Hazmat charges......

Jeff Maass, I didn't know about the model rocketry problems. Really too bad, as I enjoyed them immensely when I was a kid. In fact, the last time I moved I came across my old launcher!

Quote: from BDH on 5:25 am on Mar. 3, 2003[br

Jeff Maass, I didn't know about the model rocketry problems. Really too bad, as I enjoyed them immensely when I was a kid. In fact, the last time I moved I came across my old launcher!

I know that some of my old competition rockets (NAR #17711) are buried in a corner of my parents basement. Some day, I will need to excavate down through that packrat heaven, to find all my old stuff!

I used to travel around Ohio and PA competing. I don't know what the power factor was!