Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone planning on the Blackwater shootout?

Hey guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone else here is planning on attending the Shoothouse Shootout in Moyock at the end of the month... If anyone has been there before, what did you think of it? Me and a few buddies are going down and anticipate a lot of fun

Good Morning,

I am going to shoot the Blackwater match. This will be our fifth trip to NC for the shootout. If it is your first time, it will be extremely different from any previous IDPA match. The shoot houses consist of hallways and rooms. The targets are on moveable backstops and the walls have kevlar lining (from what I am told). You will at some point be thinking, as you make your way through the maze, that you are shooting in the direction of where the squad is waiting. Of course it is safe, but it is a little weird!

The first few times we went, the stages were almost exactly the same each year, and it was somewhat boring, but in the last two years, the organizers have made several changes and each match is new and exciting. I was told that the AC for the area has been replaced so there may be more changes this year.

One year, some people shot twice, in different divisions, both for score. One year there were blind stages for score. Each of these issues were corrected the following year. It does seem that some of the stages require more movement than allowed, so perhaps that will be different as well.

There is nothing around Blackwater. You can arrange to stay on site in bunk houses. If you stay in Virginia Beach, there are plenty of hotels and restaurants and it is less than 30 minutes to Blackwater.

Last year, the results were posted within a day of the match. In previous years, it took longer. It has always taken months for the trophies to arrive. The match is in October and some time in March or April, a package will arrive from a power washing company in Virginia. That will be your trophy, so do not throw it out!

There have been other types of side matches in the past. I believe that there are steel side matches both Saturday and Sunday this year, and Blackwater has a lot of steel.

I hope that you enjoy the experience!

From the sounds of it, it sounds like its going to be amazing! Im glad im making the trip! And thanks for clearing up the sleeping issue. I was going to call on monday to try and find that out.

I have shot this match many times and try to make it every year. Unfortunately family obligations prevent me from attending this year. I recomend going, it will be different from most any other match you have shot.

• 2 weeks later...