Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not hitting where I'm aiming

kdj

Shooting at our local Monday night league last night:

1st run, pseudo-PPC out to 25 yds. Everything seems fine. Couple of points off in 48 shots, with a nice ragged hole around the point of aim.

2nd run, psuedo-IPSC with mini targets at 7 yds. 1st couple of strings, 12 shots all in the A zone. 1st shot of 3rd string ... high and to the left *off the target*. Huh ... I didn't call that. Next shot, right next to the previous one *off the target*. Shake the scope, seems solid. Next 4 shots ... all in a nice tight group up and to the left *off the target*. Since by now I'm umpteen points down, I just keep shooting as if life was good. I end up with some nice groups high and to the left *off the target*.

Eventually, after a while of digging around I discovered what had happened. The two lower mounting screws on the ring that attaches the Aimpoint to the mount had sheared, leaving the heads attached to one side and appearing to still be tight. The upper 2 screws held the scope tight enough that it didn't appear to move when shaken but the point of aim had moved 3 inches left and 3 inches up.

Argh! I don't need help from my equipment, I can miss quite well enough on my own!!

Kevin

It could be worse. I spent most of a magazine trying to get a 22 yard US Popper on my own stage. Did an early reload but still ran dry later (with a gun that holds empty magazines in). Finished with twice the time of the stage winner. Went to the safe area and tried to wiggle the front sight... rear sight... both tight. Took apart the gun and checked lugs, link, RecoilMaster, etc. All good. Put it back together and won the next stage, despite its US poppers.