Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16" rifle gas - can it be made to work?

Alan Adamson

it's a long story as to how I got here and I don't have to go here if this is s stupid idea...

I've got a cut down 16" rifle length gas barrel... It's actually a really good barrel that the threads were screwed up on and instead of it being cut down to a 17, it was cut to a 16 :(...

But, I wonder, can they be made to work - reliably?

Dwell time seems to be the main issue it appears... I can solve some of that by putting a suppressor adapter on it and and suppressor, but I'm wondering if I can put a suppressor/brake adapter on it and use it as a backup upper if I ever needed it for 3G?

Does and adjustable gas block solve any of the issue? Light BCG? ligher buffer/spring, etc?

Just curious before I put everything back together.... This is really an SPR type gun that I use for some long distance shooting, I just was thinking maybe I could dual purpose it... or not... I always have another 18" barrel that I can put on this upper if worst comes to worst.

Thanks

Alan

it's a long story as to how I got here and I don't have to go here if this is s stupid idea...

I've got a cut down 16" rifle length gas barrel... It's actually a really good barrel that the threads were screwed up on and instead of it being cut down to a 17, it was cut to a 16 :(...

But, I wonder, can they be made to work - reliably?

Dwell time seems to be the main issue it appears... I can solve some of that by putting a suppressor adapter on it and and suppressor, but I'm wondering if I can put a suppressor/brake adapter on it and use it as a backup upper if I ever needed it for 3G?

Does and adjustable gas block solve any of the issue? Light BCG? ligher buffer/spring, etc?

Just curious before I put everything back together.... This is really an SPR type gun that I use for some long distance shooting, I just was thinking maybe I could dual purpose it... or not... I always have another 18" barrel that I can put on this upper if worst comes to worst.

Thanks

Alan

Nevermind... I measured wrong, it's a 17" not a 16" and I know that will work I have one already that works just fine.... duh...

• 1 month later...

I called CMMG about a 16" rifle gas set up gun some time ago. They said that you might can get it to work but I would need hot ammo. I shoudl think that a levang or krink comp would provide more gas if required to work the bolt.

Edited by dauntedfuture